Do all dvd-r recordings have a kind of "stuttering" during playback?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by marcus_h, Apr 7, 2005.

1. marcus_h

marcus_h Agent

Hello,

I'm a newbie to dvd recording and I started out by buying a 200.00 pioneer recorder to basically replace a vcr. Well, the dvds had a ton of problems playing back in other dvd players. The recordings would kind of pause, almost like going into freeze frame, and then continue on. Its almost like the recordings have a stutter during playback. So, I returned the recorder and picked up the
    sony rdr-gx300 dvd recrder instead. The recordings I have made from this one have the same kind of "stuttering" problem but it isn't nearly as bad as with the pioneer. And at least the discs don't freeze up or come back with cannot play disc error messages as those recorded with the pioneer.

So...is it that all recordings from dvd players experience this, or is it the blank media that I'm using (which I find hard to believe). I've used memorex and and tdk dvd-r's.

2. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

I've have very little luck with getting standard DVD players to accept recordings made on stand-alone recorders. You can visit videohelp.com and find out which players will play what kinds of discs, but it seems that your problem is one with your player(s).

The best solution I've found is to capture (record) on the stand-alone player and then import that into the computer and use an authoring program to make new chapters, edit, etc. (You an do that with Nerovision, Movie Factory, MyDVD and many others) and then burn back to a DVD-R 4X Ridata disc that I've found to be the most widely compatible.

Players a few years old will often have problems you describe since they have trouble reading the dye rather than the metal in a commercially pressed DVD. With the price of players today, you can easily find one that will work with your set-up.

Compatibility becomes a bigger problem if you're sending discs off to family members. Then it's a good idea to send one for a test and make sure they can play it. Some players will like DVD+R better than DVD-R so you'll just have to experiment. At least you'll be able to personalize your menus and have thumbnail pictures for your chapters.

BTW you'd be amazed at what different media can do to various players so it's wise to experiment with several brands as well.

John

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

What kind of player are you trying them in?

I've had zero problems playing DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD+RW in my five year old Sony player.

4. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I have the Tosh d-KR2 and it is very, very picky about which discs it will burn too. On top of that my various players around the house all have a preference different brands of media for playback.

Verbatim and TDK are the only brands that have recorded and played back on all players.

5. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

I have a Pioneer rt500 (VCR/DVDR) and haven't had any problems with the discs being accepted by other players EXCEPT certain BRANDS of discs in certain DVD players. I am much more suspicious of the Discs than the recorder. I've had no problem with TDK, Maxell, or Ritek. I have had some problems with Verbatim-RW playing in one machine. The media have alot of variability - even within brands and genre (meaning +, -, or RW). If you are trying different brands and having the same problem...well, that's something else...but I have no idea what else. :b

6. marcus_h

marcus_h Agent

Hello again,

Well, I've been experimenting a bit more lately with my sony recorder.

Here's a list of players that I have:

sony - first generation dvd player
    Toshiba - standard 2 dvd tray dvd player
    Mintek - standard dvd player
    Mintek - portable 7 inch screen dvd player
    Toshiba - new progressive scan dvd player

DVD-r media that I have tried...Memorex, Maxell, TDK, and Fuji.

The only and I mean only blank dvd-r media that won't give me "cannot play disc" error on my sony or lock up in my mintek portable player is FUJI. The other three have problems in one or the other.

SO, I went out and bought a whole pile of FUJI dvd-r's. I also bought a 100 pack of sony dvd-r's because they were on sale for half off, but haven't tried them yet...I don't wanna know right away if I spent 40 bucks badly...lol.

Thanks,

Marc

7. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Perhaps we should start a blank DVD+/-R swap, sooner or later everyone will end up with something they can use [​IMG]

I have already given away 3 50 stacks Grrrr!

8. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Marcus, a variety of DVD-R brands "stutter" in my progressive scan Toshiba SD4900 (a newer machine). However FUJI discs don't. A gentleman I know from another message board that produces a lot of DVD-Rs has noted that FUJI has one of the highest "success rates" in being compatible with players.

This whole stutter thing is aggrevating. The discs that stutter on my 4900 don't stutter in an older Toshiba player I have that's non progressive scan.

Steve

9. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Wanted to correct something I posted earlier, the DVD-RW's I have had trouble with are IMATION, not VERBATIM. The problem has only been with playback in someone else's Sylvania machine.

Re: Fuji, I don't doubt they are of good quality and highly compatable, but I bought some Fuji printables as Sam's Club that were the worst media I ever owned. The recordings stuttered badly -only at the end of the recording. I took them back. I received 2 discs in the box of my Pioneer RT500 - a -RW and a -R. I've had no trouble with them and that's why I bought the printables. Of course, they were $22 for 50 so I suspect Sam's was swindled by an imitator.

10. marcus_h

marcus_h Agent

Well, I've done some more recording and found something interesting...

My two mintek players, for some recordings, does not like it when a burned dvd has chapters in it. The Sony dvd recorder is capable of doing 15 or 30 minute chapters, and when I had turned this option back on, I noticed more disc lock ups with burned dvds. I have once again turned off chapters and haven't had any lockups. Of course, with chapters, all the dvds play just fine on my sony, toshiba, and various computer dvd players. Its just the damn crappy mintek players that like to lock up with chapters.