1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Do all CD players have the ability to pass 96/24 info through the digital output ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Oct 26, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Do all CD players have the ability to pass 96/24 info through the digital output ?..The reason why I ask is that I just bought a Marantz cc-3000 and I can't find any info on the DAC or if it will pass on 96/24 bit info to my receiver that is capable of that resolution..

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I don't know any cd players that will do that (I've been wrong before). Some DVD players, like my former Panasonic, will, but my current Sony will downconvert 24/96 to 48k before sending it to the digital out.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 26, 2001 at 09:37 AM]

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, no CD player will pass a 24/96 bitstream. The CD format is 16-bit/44.1-kHz PCM only, so that is the only bitstream a CD player will pass. 24/96 PCM pertains to some DVD-Video music discs (sometimes referred to Digital Audio Discs or DADs) and DVD-Audio. Of course, CD players don't play these discs. As Jack said, some DVD players will pass a 24/96 bitstream without downconversion.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

That's odd, the onkyo dxc380 cd changer I just returned saids on there website that it is capable of doing so. And I was wondering if the marantz did the same thing. My onkyo has a 96/24 DAC, so it wont "up-convert" the signal from my cd player ?

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer