Do all CD players have the ability to pass 96/24 info through the digital output ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Oct 26, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Do all CD players have the ability to pass 96/24 info through the digital output ?..The reason why I ask is that I just bought a Marantz cc-3000 and I can't find any info on the DAC or if it will pass on 96/24 bit info to my receiver that is capable of that resolution..

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony, no CD player will pass a 24/96 bitstream. The CD format is 16-bit/44.1-kHz PCM only, so that is the only bitstream a CD player will pass. 24/96 PCM pertains to some DVD-Video music discs (sometimes referred to Digital Audio Discs or DADs) and DVD-Audio. Of course, CD players don't play these discs. As Jack said, some DVD players will pass a 24/96 bitstream without downconversion.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

That's odd, the onkyo dxc380 cd changer I just returned saids on there website that it is capable of doing so. And I was wondering if the marantz did the same thing. My onkyo has a 96/24 DAC, so it wont "up-convert" the signal from my cd player ?