Do Adds really work?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Apr 25, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I've been visiting this website for a while now, mostly video game related. Recently, they've started to experiment with adds. One was a giant flying thing that you couldn't close because it had a time limit, and interfered with page reading.

Then it progressed to Popup adds, with one per page. Now, it's progressed to .com base addressed adds, WITH popup adds. Before going to the main address, your faced with an add page that MUST load(slowly on a dialup modem) before contiuing.

Sigh. Everytime this happens, I have to move and find a just as good, but less popular news item page, so I don't have to put up with these adds. But the REAL question is, do adds even WORK anymore? We're so bombarded with them that we've learned to block them out.

I mean..look at it this way. A 30 minute show, is reduced to 20 minutes. And networks are now starting to experiment with onscreen adds DURING the show, annoying little animations that take up half the screen and last about seconds promoting shows you alraedy know or don't care about. TNN is the worst offender with the Damn ITrek Live logo taking up the ENTIRE screen as it fades in and out, with the black bar to add to th mess on the bottom.

Then we've got movies. You pay your $12's per ticket, and instead of previews, your forced to watch 3 minutes worth of adds. One reason why I wait for the DVD release now and skip the theater alltogether. And now, we've got the internet. Popup Adds, adds on the page itself that you can't block, base addrses adds you can't bypass...

When will ENOUGH BE ENOUGH for petes sake? I mean, is there someone we can complain to to at least limit the amount of on screen logos and TV adds that we see? Not to mention network bugs? Or is the entertainmenet medium just going to get worse?

I'm just waiting for someone to invent the 'DreamAdd' seen in an ep of Futurama, since with the way things are going, that's probably going to be the next step.

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

My answer is generally the same as the one for the billboard one a few weeks back:

The Bacon Swiss Burger is back at Wendy's!

(tires screeching) [​IMG]

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

As Bruce Cockburns' song put it, THE TROUBLE WITH NORMAL IS IT ALWAYS GETS WORSE

As to whether they "work", the accounting systems and tax deductions tied up with ad budgets make productivuty measurements impossible.

As for our pain, This is such a frikkin ad saturated culture that most people don't even notice.

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

That's not very nice.

--
    Holadem

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

8. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    Ads really suck, but without them 95% of the internet would be gone. Most web sites are supported by ads to some degree so apparently they're working to a point. I use a pop-up blocker myself and it works great. I can deal with banner ads, but when they start in with pop-ups it gets under my skin. Sometimes I wonder if ads have some type of subliminal message like in They Live keeping us conforming and consuming. [​IMG]

9. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Ad prices for search engine "introductions" have steadily risen over the last few years. Ads do work. What consumers are willing to put up with is an issue of market economics. It's self-regulating. Just tune in to American Idol to see blatant product promotion ("I know, let's sing about the Ford Focus"). Yet it pulls in enormous numbers. Alias has shameless Ford promotions as well (Spies zipping around Budapest in a Ford Focus). It's obvious and laughable but something I'm willing to tolerate (the Alias one; American Idol is drivel).

10. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I wouldn't say that ads work, although they can be useful when you're trying to decide on which product to purchase, when all the products are exactly the same.

For example: Which brand of 2-ply toilet paper should I buy? Hmm. I know! I'll pick the brand with the pillowy-soft air-bubbles made by the environmentally friendly indigenous peoples of Alabama! My butt would thank me for it!

12. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I think an ad helped me find this website about a year ago, so I'd say they work sometimes. And just think about how you ever discovered sites that are the super popular ones like amazon, ebay or yahoo.

13. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

14. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Having absolutely no formal education on the topic, just like most, I'm left with making an assumption based on:

Are the billions of $ spent of advertising net a loss and management simply forgot for a second their due to the share holders?

or

Are the billions of $ spent on advertising pays for itself and then some?

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

half of advirtising doesn't work at all. the problem is they don't know which half [​IMG]

16. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

The cost-benefits of advertising in most cases are incalculable, the prevalence of advertising is just a condition of our life, like BS and litter.

One of the many irritating things about TV ads in the last 5 or so years has been the rise of "advertising compression", where the next ad is squeezed onto the air before the last one has quite finished. You often hear the words of one ad being clipped short. The breathless insanity of that behaviour (by greedy station managers) mirrors widespread rudeness as accepted social behaviour.

Though some ads occasionally provide a smidgen of info, most ads are just noise pollution, and anyone buying on the basis of ad claims alone, explicit or implied, is probably wasting a lot of money.

As for the argument that ads bring us the programs we want, well, I'd rather pay full price for a book or DVD than put up with a mangled story on a TV program.

As for kids displaying name brands on their togs, well they deserve to have their genes owned by some corporation someday anyway, and have a brand on their foreheads saying "This space for rent".

17. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>One of the many irritating things about TV ads in the last 5 or so years has been the rise of "advertising compression", where the next ad is squeezed onto the air before the last one has quite finished. >

Think that's bad? I've seen adds that RUN ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. You'll see one full add on the screen, and the blurred ghost like picture and clear audio of another. Wether this is deliberate, or the fault of the person at the controls I can't tell, because it's happened to many times.