Do actors/actresses like to watch their movies?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Colton, May 20, 2005.

1. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

I found it interesting that some actors/actresses don't even watch the finished product. I recall one actress (can't remember who) that was interviewed for her role in a movie and said that she hadn't watched it - this was after the movie was already in theaters.

So, do you think that actors/actresses enjoy watching the movies that they star in - or is it not as enjoyable to them since they were "behind-the-scenes"?

- Colton

2. Abby_B

Abby_B Supporting Actor

I would think it depends on how proud they are of their performance. Sometimes actors/actresses take a part just to get paid and it is probably uncomfortable to watch something that you don't really respect. But if it is something that you feel like you did well at, I would think you'd want to see it. The other factor is probably how the experience of filming the movie was...if you had an affair with the lead actor that ended badly, you may have seen enough of him and want to avoid watching him on film...

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

This is from an interview with Samuel L. Jackson in the March 2005 issue of Premiere magazine:

[​IMG]

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Depends on the person I guess. Ive read interviews with some who've said they havent seen such and such a movie since it was made.

Prob,to some its just a job.

Anna Paquin doesnt even know where her Oscar is.

5. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

Pretty sure i read an interview in EW where johnny depp said he didn't watch many of his movies either.

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Lots of DVD commentaries feature actors and directors saying something like "Oh wow, I haven't seen this since we finished shooting. This is cool."

Very weird.

7. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Many actors seem to hate watching themselves in films. I like to think it has something to do with not revisiting it either out of embarassment or because you know you could have done it better.

8. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

I think a lot of times it's simply uncomfortable to see yourself that big and close-up.

9. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Also a lot of actors aren't really movie buffs. Some pursue the career because of the glamorous behind the scenes lifestyle that usually only major celebrities end up with. A lot of the time they have a passion for the acting, but not so much for the films themselves. For many actors I'm sure they don't watch their own movies very often, or spend their time seeing as much movies as film buffs do.

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

John malkovich said he never watched the compltetd products. he said he got really sick of it after doing the same parts umpteen times a day and watching hundreds of screen playbacks.

11. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Maybe they can't get over the thought "Do I really sound like that!?" [​IMG]

I heard an interview with Tom Cruise at a career retrospective where he mentioned that he has prints of all his films, but he never watches them.

I had a friend who worked at the Universal City theaters, and he mentioned a few times having actors or directors show up on opening night to sneak in the back and gauge the reaction of the crowd. They didn't pay to get in though, and they usually left before the end.

Also, Harrison Ford once talked about how he hadn't seen the Star Wars films until his kids were old enough to put them on (without his expecting it), and he sat down to watch them.

And there was an interview with Sean Connery in the defunct "Video Review" magazine where he mentioned he hadn't seen one of his James Bond films until a nephew was watching them on video.

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Perhaps it's almost impossible to see it as a movie when you were on the set and took part in all those tiny pieces of takes. Let alone: enjoy it.

Cees

13. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

Well, I'm glad someone enjoys XXX: State of the Union, Coach Carter, Twisted, S.W.A.T., Basic, The Caveman's Valentine, Rules of Engagement & Sphere.[​IMG]

14. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Yeah, I imagine its hard for them not to see the sets and the props, all the behind the scenes politics, etc.

15. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I really wonder what it would be like during nude scenes. I mean, I'd feel strange if I were a female movie star and was sitting in a theater seeing this huge crowd stare at my breasts. Doubly so if they turned to look at me at that point. Kinda awkward. I also wonder how strange it would be to watch your own nude scenes.

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I liked Caveman's Valentine. Even if there were no chocolates in the movie.

"Get away from her squash-face!" A classic

17. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I think Samuel Jackson was being honest. I believe actors' egos would require that they watch their own performances...over and over again. I have never believed actors when they insist in interviews that they don't watch their own films. I say it's all false modesty. And why shouldn't they watch them? I would watch my performances over and over if I were in movies, to get a sense of whether I had done what I'd hoped to do, and simply to absorb the strokes my ego would demand, knowing millions of people were going to see me on a screen somewhere.

18. Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander Second Unit

I could believe that one. I hate hearing myself on home videos or message recordings.

19. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

I'de expect that all actor's have some curiosity for how some little project that they dedicated a portion of their life to turned out. Except for some character/overacters *cough* Pacino *cough*, who might forget that they were ever in a different film from others ("was I angry? did I have gun? that narrows it down a WHOLE bunch!").

20. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

It's probably like voices.

Anyone else shiver when they hear their voice on an answering machine, etc.?