What's new

3D Do 3-D players know when you're connected to a 3-D TV? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have a Panny 3-D player, but at this point only a 2-D set. Inadvertently I put the 3-D disc of MADAGASCAR 3 into the player instead of the 2-D, and I received a message saying the disc could not be played. The 2-D played fine.
My question: will my 3-D player know when I am connected to a 3-D TV and allow playback? If so, how?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Dick /t/326175/do-3-d-players-know-when-youre-connected-to-a-3-d-tv#post_4015864
I have a Panny 3-D player, but at this point only a 2-D set. Inadvertently I put the 3-D disc of MADAGASCAR 3 into the player instead of the 2-D, and I received a message saying the disc could not be played. The 2-D played fine.
My question: will my 3-D player know when I am connected to a 3-D TV and allow playback? If so, how?

I'm assuming there is an HDMI handshake between the player and the TV. When I put a 3D disc into one of my players, the TV prompts me to turn on the 3D glasses. The only way it would know to signal that is if the player alerted the TV that the glasses needed to be turned on.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
MattH. said:
I'm assuming there is an HDMI handshake between the player and the TV. When I put a 3D disc into one of my players, the TV prompts me to turn on the 3D glasses. The only way it would know to signal that is if the player alerted the TV that the glasses needed to be turned on.
The player sending a 3D signal to the TV would be enough to create the situation you describe, wouldn't it? It doesn't necessarily mean that the TV sends information about its 3D capabilities (or lack thereof) back to the player.

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
If you set up a PS3, as well as well as supported resolutions it also detects whether you are connected to a 3DTV, so it is definitely receiving that information from the TV.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The PS3's screen setup automatically screen's the TV's capability via the direct HDMI hookup, and if it doesn't detect/select "1080p (3D)" in the setup, it won't let you insert a 3D-only disk, period. If you have non-disk downloaded 3D content, it'll automatically play it in 2D.
I would suspect the similar is true of most players, when determining whether or not to export Blu-ray as 1080 or 720.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yes, the TV tells the player it is 3D.

This caused me problems because I have a PS3->Denon Reciever->Optoma 3D Projector.

Even though the PS3 and the Projector are both capable of 3D, I can't use HDMI for sound through the receiver, because the Denon doesn't pass the 3D handshake.

I have to go Audio Optical to the receiver, and direct HDMI from the PS3 -> Projector. This is the only way it will work, and because of it, I can't get the full HD soundtrack when watching 3D.

Stupid HDMI DRM bs pisses me off.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Jeff Cooper said:
Stupid HDMI DRM bs pisses me off.
It's not the DRM that's the problem, it's the fact that 3D adds extra parameters that pass through HDMI, and the receiver won't pass those on.
One solution is to use a 3D BD player with dual HDMI out, like the one I've got - one HDMI to the TV for video, the other to the receiver for audio.

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
Jeff - its a common problem with many threads on many web-boards dedicated to it.
I spent what seemed like weeks wading though advice, and eventually tried a powered HDMI splitter to carry audio and video separately.
Didn't work - splitters work on "lowest common denominator" principle, and as soon as the signal sniffed the receiver it lost the 3D on both channels.
In the end I've done what you've done and sacrified the HD audio for 3D movies, and have put my original Blu-ray set-up back in line for the conventional BD's with HD audio
As suggested above dual output BD player is probably the easier (and cheaper) route to get everything out of a single machine .

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Jeff Cooper said:
I have to go Audio Optical to the receiver, and direct HDMI from the PS3 -> Projector.  This is the only way it will work, and because of it, I can't get the full HD soundtrack when watching 3D.
I have to do the same sort of thing although in my case take out the HDMI cable from the AV receiver and put it into the TV. Which is a bit of a pain but my Sony receiver is only 3 years old with 2 years warranty still to run so I can't justify replacing the receiver yet.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Originally Posted by RobHam /t/326175/do-3-d-players-know-when-youre-connected-to-a-3-d-tv#post_4016361
I spent what seemed like weeks wading though advice, and eventually tried a powered HDMI splitter to carry audio and video separately.
Didn't work - splitters work on "lowest common denominator" principle, and as soon as the signal sniffed the receiver it lost the 3D on both channels.

Ha! I did the exact same thing, and learned the exact same thing... Did you use the Monoprice splitter by any chance?

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
I have two 3D capable devices, an Optoma front-projector and a Mitsubishi rear-projector, and both recognize a 3D signal automatically. It took me no time at all to get them to work with my Samsung 3D blu-ray player, but I put in a lot of time to get them to work with my home theater PC. No surprise there.
Dick, as a big Ray Harryhausen fan, I got a kick out of your avatar! You need to get a 3D display soon -- MADAGASCAR 3 is one of the very best 3D Blu-rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks