Do 125 watts in 1997 equal 125 watts today?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert_Z, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I recently bought a Carver AV705 THX power amp (125x5). Although initially skeptical, I have quickly grown to love this amp, especially for 2-channel music. But I am curious...

This is an older amp, and I wonder if something like a new Rotel RMB-1075 or Parasound HCA-1205 would sound better simply because it is newer and may possess new gadgetry that surpasses whatever is in my Carver. Is that accurate, or do 125 watts produced in 1997 = 125-ish watts made today?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yes, qualified by the usual FCC protocols and all that.

3. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

More watts does not necessarily translate to better sound so it is possible that the Rotel and/or Parasound could sound better (or worse) than your Carver.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    An amp from another manufacturer may sound different, whether or not it sounds better is for you to decide. I wouldn't expect an older 125w amp to deliver more or less than a similar amp today.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Trust your ears:

The Carver is a excellent amp and I would also agree with the points the others have made.

Regards
    Geoff

6. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Well I've seen 30watt amps make speakers pound. Wattage really has very little to do with the overall sound.

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

125 W from any day and age is the same as 125 W today. However 125W from one manufacturer is different from 125W from another manufacturer as specified by their respective marketing departments. Some makers specify power with all channels driven some with one or two channels driven. Some specify at 1Khz and some over the full audio spectrum (20-20KHz). Some at 8 ohms some at 6 and yet some at 4. So you see its not the power thats changing from day to day or from maker to maker, but just the way it is specified. Also as pointed out earlier good sound doesnt necessarily equate with more power.

8. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Thing you have to realize is that say for instance you have some speakers with a sensitivty of 90db. So that at 1meter from the speakers at a SPL of 90db you will be using 1 watt of power. 90db is loud. That is the sound of a lawnmower with your ear 3ft away from it. My fathers old Onkyo receiver used to have a wattmeter on the front that rarely if ever went past 1 watt. The extra power is needed for all the dynamic headroom and what not. A 10db increase is what usually people distinguish as twice as loud. So I suppose if you are blasting the things then you might use somewhere near the potential.

Note that for every 10 db increase in POWER you get a decade
    increase in Wattage:

0 db increase = same power
    3 db increase = 2 x power
    10 db increase = 10 x power
    20 db increase = 100 x power
    30 db increase = 1000 x power
    40 db increase = 10,000 x power