What's new

DMB Bartender 5.1 vs. stereo version (1 Viewer)

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Dave Mathews Band - "Bartender" 5.1 vs. stereo version

I'm wondering how your systems compare between the 5.1 version on the DVD vs. the stereo version on the CD.

The real question is the difference in base on the instrument(oboe?) that periodically hits 4 notes (E-E-D-E?). On the 5.1 version I can hear this loud and clear but on the stereo version I can barely make out the sound of the instrument. Is this consistent with what you hear, or should I be "fixing" something?

Joe

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Joseph_W
Anyone else find these two versions completely different?
I certainly do! It sounds to me like they are different mixes, like they added stuff just to put in the surround channels for ambiance or something. Personally, I don't like it one bit. :thumbsdown: to multichannel audio!

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
Thanks for the reply. Not only did they add surround channels, but I think they added a whole new LFE channel. I was afraid the crossover in my receiver wasn't working properly.

Joe

Tom Foley

Stunt Coordinator
Oboe? Am I assuming that you are referring to LeRoi's baritone sax phrase (described as "elephantine" I believe by Rolling Stone)? The part after each line in the verse that goes "c-d-d-c-d"? If so, yes, there certainly is an added emphasis to that element of the song in the 5.1 mix. But I don't believe it was "added" and not in the stereo mix. It's there, but not as prominent. They made good use of the LFE channel.

I don't believe there was anything added to the song beyond what went into the original studio mix. When they mastered to 5.1, they definitely played around more with Carter's cymbals and the opening "celtic" phrases on the keyboards. But it certainly didn't blow me away in terms of what multichannel sound could do for a band like DMB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks