What's new

DLS sub on the way. Will it out gun the WM-40? (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
the amp is actually different than the one shown in the pic at PE...but the only difference is that everything is rearranged a bit and the knobs look a bit different...

i haven't opened up the sub and i don't really plan too so that's all i know of the amp

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
From looking at my last post, I give the impression that the Amp weighs 35lbs. This is not the case. I was speaking of the total sub weight>> Agreeing with you on it being a solid little unit. I will have to check out the picture you speak of at P-Exp.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I decided to give the "MIGHTY LITTLE DLS" a little more of a workout so here is what I came up with if I remember correctly? I measured the first flyby scene on Star Wars II at -5 and the meter read 105 db I believe. I did this a week or so ago with the sub under the corner table at the end of the couch. The meter was exactly "I just measured" 5ft from the sub with a +6 to +8db calibration. A high calibration for a listening level of -5 imo, but it was in a optimal position close to seating and it took it. I had the gain setting on the back of the sub at 40%. Now if a guy wanted to run the DLS duel in my exact situation he would be looking at 111 db's. Not bad at all for less than $200 plus shipping. My HT is a little more challenging than some so placed in a 12x12 or 12x18 room with only, sayyyy one open entrance who knows what what one could realize out of two. {Yes 105db confirmed} My wife just left and I gave it the same workout. I pushed it to -0 and apparently 105 db was it's limit in this location and HZ. 111 db will be more than what many-many single subs could deliver.

There are a couple of other subs that I plan on getting when they come out and then after that I think I will pick up another DLS just for the sake of it. Would be fun to see what two can do. That's if all stay's constant?

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Steve, your wife had to leave for you to do the last test, right? Yet you own 2 velo's already, are getting a few other subs, plus a second DLS for fun, Mmmm. You're pushing it, man. You're pushing it. Wife loves you, man! She loves you!;)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
OH yes boys, while cats away the mice do play...:D
Steve:
You got 105-db in your room out of that thing?????
Man I wish you had a freq disc! It be easier to hear slot noise and see just where your peeking in room. But still that is quite impressive.
A 10", 99.99 dollor sub and in your semi big ass leaky room. I almost want to call you a liar! ;)
I know you know what your doing and their probley was some +% distortion and harmonics at play, but that is something even if we don't know what peekng freq your getting that at..
I'm still in shock, wheres that damn medic!
======>
Jason:
So you kinda worried for nothing I take it!-???
Hard belive hey, nice for the cash, yes?, that seems to be what they all are saying. WOW-zer, to the DLS-10
I'm really getting kinda curious to hear this little bugger myself. Guess I am going to have to make a few calls to my frieds. Seems I have not heard from all 3 that ordered it! Somebody has to have gotten theirs, though 2 do work out of town so may not be home to have taken delivery and set up.
Their wives and female friend ;) are home, so they might just be setting in the hallway or something. Thats a sad thought, OH, the horror of that possibility.. Subs justs setting dorment... :)
======>
Jose:
Did you find the SVS Demo page?
Crimmy,,, I send you their and I can't even find it, I am embarrased to say...:b
Had to post about it! It's on the "Question Page", seems they moved things around a little sense I was their last, and that would be some time ago.
Enjoy your toys guys ~ Thumpen, Bumpen, Pounden, Shaken, or what ever is your thing.
=======>
Cheers guys, I'm gona get to hear this thing sooner or later and will in room measure that sucker. That is if Brian don't beat me to it!
Geoff

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Geoff I see you are up late tonight;) . I was going to order that disk but I always procrastinate on certain things. I think if you get a chance to try this little guy out you will find that distortion is at play at -5 and at a +6 to +8 db calibration. But allot less than what you would think. The 105 is very true. At -10 it was 103. Like I said, I could not get it to go any further than 105 on that scene though. I just ran the avalanche scene on Triple X >> {Crap! $6 late fee's. That's $9 I spent on renting that piece of ^&%$}< for a friend on the DLS compared to my other subs and he was very impressed. I was at -15 and it delivered the goods. It was working hard I admit, but then that is just what I expect out of the M.L.-DLS. It shows up on time and does what I ask it to do for very little pay:emoji_thumbsup: .

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yes just woke up at 2 this morning. Been very ill for the last few days... Uggg
Sleeping when I can, went to bed yesterday in the afternoon, as I never did get any sleep the night before. Tried to make it longer cause I new thats what would happen! Oh well, I fell a hell of allot better today! :emoji_thumbsup:
Yes you "dingy", another 2 dollars and you own the Stryke disc. Oh well!
Stereopile has a few good discs also. And Bass Mechanic has one that has some good stuff on it though I'd have to go dig around for it. It's better for your mains than sub testing. Its designed for car audio more than home. It's the black case with orange and a little green writting on it.
PE is where I picked that one up at.
There is anther one too that is excellent but it escapes me now and I don't have that one. Allot of studios use it along with radio stations. Some guy has got it up on Ebay all the time. Better to buy it from the company web site than him!
Cheaper belive it or not!
Of couse you can burn your own sines also if you have the stuff to do it, I don't...
Well back to the coffee, just was blow away with your 105-db from that thing after you gave me your room size and layout, thats all. Might be a limiter on the amp if it ran out of gas and was not bottoming or distorting to bad. Another possibe interesting thing....
If you choose to pick-up another DLS be sure and email me first as I need to talk to you, ok?
One finger typer :D
Geoff

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

I have an e-mail I can send you with bass testones from 100hz down to 10 hz. They are in 10 second increments. That would help you test just how low the dls could reach in you room. Let me know if you would like it and I can send it too you. You need a cd burner of course.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thank you very much Jeff. No I do not have a burner but my daughters have been speaking of one. I should just order one this weekend. The one you speak of sounds like it would serve me very well. Can I ask where you picked it up and the name of it? The disk that is.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Geoff, couldn't find page either, but only looked once. Will look again soon. Still no word from Stryke but my email is down for the past two days:angry: I can't wait to use the test tones and set this thing up just the way I want it. WAF on that is pretty low and will have to wait for the "we're going out for a bit, hon" which never comes as often as I would like to play with my toys. :)
Jeff, if you don't mind emailing me those tones- I would love it, as I've been waiting for a disk to come for who knows how long now- feels like forever, though. I don't have a burner, but I'll get my cousin over hear to do that for me and I can start seeing what this little beast can do. My email is not working now, so no rush- though I'll probably get the email just fine once they fix whatever is wrong with the mail server.
Hey, guys. How many of these subs do you think we've helped sell? Mmmmm. I'm thinking: Steve, you should get the next one for free or at least half off- I have your back!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You know Jose I would have ordered that disk myself if you would have received yours by now? Have you herd anything yet?
______________________>
I am ready to order one now if I can find a Co. that would ship within a day or two of placing the order.
______________________>
A free sub would be very nice considering the reason I bought the DLS. There are so many ways to look at it though. It was not my motive to help them sell subs. It would-might be considerate of them to give it a slight consideration though???????
_______________________>
Thanks for watching my back. I need all the help I can get. But then I guess you know that.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Found the program in a zipped file on the internet. I downloaded it yesterday and played with my WM40 this morning. The sony reached 26hz and then it went in-audible. Not bad for the Sony. (It is polyfilled) I am sure the mod helped lower the box extension a little. If you would like I can send you a disk with the tones on it. I was quite happy to find no real bass holes in my 12x13 room. I thought I would find problems in the 40-50hz range but it was quite solid. Needless to say I am quite pleased for a free test tone cd. It provided some much needed answers to questions I had about my room acoustics.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Steve, I emailed Stryke regarding not receiving the disk but my mail server is down for some reason and I don't know if they have replied yet. Someone here said that it took Stryke a month before getting them their disk, so I'm actually not that surprised by the delay. I also didn't think I would be in such a rush to test but I was wrong about that- I have the bug it seems.

Jeff, 6mb!? Don't bother with the email. I'm going to PM you (hope that's the right term. Sounds like a bad word though, doesn't it?) since my email is down.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Steve,
At what point would it be cheaper to sell all those subs and have me build one big monster for you!? ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well I will admit the thought has crossed my mind many times. Thank you Brian. The two 15" Vel's I run now come very close to a one PC+ performance. I would like to be able to push the bass into the high teens so it would take a couple of the new PB1-PLUS's to bring me in?> Maybe just a little more. I also have been thinking of one PB2-PLUS this year and one next year. Pricing will determine. I would just stack my Vel's on top of the one PB2-PLUS this year and see if I could get away with that for awhile. A stolen phrase but definitely a true "Tower of Power" would be achieved imo. I know I don't need such headroom but the challenge gives me something to shoot for.
________________________>>
Tom V has been so very good to work with and my hat is really off to him for his help. On New-Years day He replied back twice on concerns I had. One of my mails to him might have been a little challenging lets say and he kept his composure all the more and gave me a very detailed informative answer with a great tone to his reply. This sort of put me over the top, not to mention the product of course.
________________________>>
But being one that watches his penny's very close on sub purchases
;) I would definitely like to here-compare what you have to offer at the time. I know your half kidding half serious and I am sure you would-could come up with a great product and service. Hay it was you that Got me to thinking of the "Mighty Little DLS". Let me tell you a few things about that sub.:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
_________________________>>
Mr. smooth must be sleeping today so he can stay up late again>> Geoff

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-Watson:

I used the same zipped file to plot the in-room FR of my 20-39PC+. It worked very well and was easy to burn.

While I had the files on my hard drive, I had lost that URL, so THANKS for posting it!

I have been recommending this project to HT friends, and I couldn't find the URL again for the life of me, so I was resorting to emailing them the zipped file and occasionally had trouble sending it due to its size.

Thanks, again.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks