What's new

DLS sub on the way. Will it out gun the WM-40? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

I'll be more than happy to figure out the tuning point of the Audiosource sub if someone will get me the internal dimensions of the enclosure and the dimensions on the port. If a cylindrical port, I'd need full length and internal diameter. If rectangular, I'd need height, width, and length.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Stryke Disc:

Well thats a long wait, sorry for you as mine was here in 3-days. Could be a stock problem or John was out of town, which happens allot.

The Audio Source-15 is another excellent budget sub with much more spl output and better extension. But usualy, in order to get rid of the Boom factor many have modded it with internal braces-1-1/2" hardwoo dowles, damping sheets-roofing felt or something a little pricer on the walls, and poly fill stuffing which more than likely drops the tuning a few HZ's... A good thing.

The problem with that comparision is it's SIZE! This is a BIG sub, like 2-1/2 to 3 times the size of the DLS. If the wife is ok with it and you have the room, hell yah go for it. More output deeper extension, but the sub mods come highly recommened. Their all cheap to do so money for modifacation of the AS-15 to get better performance is worth every penny.

Be interesting to see how 2 DLS"s stacked and corner loaded would stand up against 1 AS-15 corner loaded. The price difference is minior, 20 bucks or so.

Regards
Geoff

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Geoff,
I did the search and found the spl meter corrections. I also found a thread discussing why this is not always needed but I havent' read that thread yet. I hope the stryke disk takes only a short while, but I can wait because I'm so busy lately. My real problem is going to be calibrating when the wife and kid are home. I've set my receiver to -15dB and can't really take the sound during movie watching- way too loud! I'm going to have to treat them to a performance for mom and child only and get them out of the house. There goes the money for those second and third stryke disks. Has anyone ever heard their sub with "Brotherhood of the Wolf"? Great film, better in French, and so is the sound- I swear. Is that normal that the 5.1 sound is better in one language over another?

Brian, if Steve doesn't get you the internal measurments on the DLS, I'll be happy to open my sub up. It will have to wait until the end of the week, though. I'm flooded with work right now.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
From looking at the sub I would think it less complicated to just pull the Amp? I will give this a try in the next day or so and then post. My HT Room is 24'L--12'W--with 10' ceilings. I think two of the DLS subs might take out one of my Velo's within it's range I am ashamed to say. I kind of have reverted backwards again and am now running the DLS with the two velo's:D . I would not do that with just any sub. I have realized another +3db good, clean gain from placing it along the back long wall and it sounds and does just great. I have my two Velo's +2db individually and the DLS is at +6db and it keeps up just fine. I tried +8 on the DLS to match the Velo's but it was a little to much for it at -15 so I went with +6. I will try +4 to give it more headroom to.
Jose I posted I think in regards to BHOTW when it came out. I really thought that was a ripper! Well maybe I will go pull the Amp and see what I can find in the "Mighty Little DLS.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
OK here is what I found. 13"W 12 3/4"D 13" H. The slot port is in the back of the sub and opens to the very back of the sub. 8"D 1 1/2"H and 13"W. From the top of the port to the top of the sub it is 13"H. All measurements are inside dimensions. The Amp was easy to pull and had plenty of extra wire. The inside of sub is modded about 1-2 inches thick. Hay I could build one of these--Not for a $100 though. Hope this is what your looking for?

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I was almost set on upgrading my bundled Kenwood sub with the Sony, too. I guess I'll be making the 30 minute drive to the DLS showroom in Springboro this weekend to consider other options. Thanks for the thread and the comparisons, Steve. :)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Rory-"What does the woofer look like"? Well it appears to be in a class all on it's own. It is Gold plated with a beautiful set of gems wrapped around the circumference. The woofer material itself seems to be something they came up with at NASA or out in the desert where certain things are made. Thanks Rory for being so gracious. You will have your chance to get me back. The woofer is round and black on the outside and round and silver on the inside.?? It also has a magnet that likes my tape measure to.
David you know how heavy and stout the Ken sub is but it's performance just dozen't match up. Easy to bottom out-lack of extension and slow. I figured my cost of the sub was about $50 in the 504 package. Not bad at all considering?- compared to all the plastic models others came with. I think you will be glad you took that 1/2 hr drive.:emoji_thumbsup: I honestly thought I was going to closet this sub after I was through with it. A after thought was to run it on it's own when the db's needed to be low. After playing with this sub, I know I can gain from it's use in most movies.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

It looks like the DLS 10" has about 1.25ft^3 of internal volume and appears to be tuned around 28-30Hz. That's pretty damn good considering what many subs in this price range are tuned at. My little 8" Dayton sub was tuned right around 30Hz and went pretty low and loud for it's size. I used only a 2" port and did notice some port noise. I've been meaning to flare it to see if it would help with the chuffing but it hasn't been a priority.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Steve

Yes thats what were looking for!

What did you mean with the comment of:
Quote>>>The inside of sub is modded 1-2 inches thick?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Brian
You sneaky little devil you. You were posting the same time I was.
Just got back from trying my slot port cal again and this time came up with 30.2hz! Now this appears much more like it, and with what you came up with looks like it's working right now. That thing was giving me 48.4hz for tuning when I could get it to work the first few times I was in their! I kept saying-->JUST NO WAY :confused:
I doubt with that slot port, even if the edges are not rounded, you wouldn't hear any port noise wth the DLS. With sines, maybe at tuning or below but with normal movie material I doubt it.
Well it was fun and I can now recommend this small might tiny to my 2 lower dollar friends, and feel ok doing it.
Steve
Want to say thanks for beta testing for us and tearing into your sub. All this information will help allot of others setting on the budget fence and looking for a (small, well built, and very decent performing sub on the CHEAP!!
Cheers all
Geoff

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Geoff,

I was too lazy to go over to a program I have that does rectangular ports so I just converted the area of the rectangular port over to a circular one and kept changing the tuning frequency until I got near an 8" length.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Yes the Amp is open. No box built around it inside. 1-2 thick Polly sheets stapled. I was wondering if removing the Amp would work for my Vel's have the Amps boxed. Like you say Geoff it will not Handel the really low material but the other 95% it handles very well for the money. Certain movies I will run my two Velo's on there own and give up the extra +3db boost. If the bass is not clean then it's not worth it. Well whats next on the old chopping block. Maybe the VTF-2 against the CHT-15 Velo?;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
The DSL is not a sloppy sub Shawn in it's context. Not at all. I think it will do as well in music as it does in HT. It is a sub that will play more than just one tone. Shawn I have seen you ask about many subs and from what I gather imo this would be the sub for you?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Steve

I am not really following what your saying above about removing the amp and the really low freq.
I could guess but would rather you put it to me clearly...

Could you explain (in a bit more detail), just what your "saying and or asking"?

Geoff

Shinya Nakamura

Auditioning
ok guys, ive been following this thread for the last couple days at work (cingular, slow lately). Im a complete noob with home theaters. : ) Only reason im getting into HT is cuz frys had that sale for the hk 320 for $299 n i cant resist a good deal. well i finally read enough n made my purchase last night n still looking for a deal on a set of jbl nsp1's. The sub came out to 131 shipped to my house in cali. i was wondering did u guys get free shipping on it? o n also thx for all the posts n this is a great forum for noobs to decide on hardware. it was either this or the sony sa-wm40 i read alot about too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks