1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DLS sub on the way. Will it out gun the WM-40?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve nn, Nov 28, 2002.

1. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Being a previous owner of the Sony WM-40, I thought it somewhat interesting to here the comments and impressions of the DLS 10" sub from Parts Express. It sounds like it could be a very good entry level sub or possibly a bit more?-- So I went ahead and ordered it. I live here in Oregon so shipping will be at the extreme.- $31 to ship. I would say the average to be about $20 to ship. So that would put the DLS sub to your door for $120 I would think? I would not expect the DLS to compete with what I have now but I do have a entry level Kenwood sub stashed away I could compare it to and the WM-40 I sold to a friend, I would have access to for he only lives a mile away. We would be able to swap so I could put the meter and ear to it. I remember quit well how the WM-40 did for me though. I thought it to be a "good performer for $135". From looking back over my post I have to [​IMG] wondering with the demands on my time and two teenage children and a wife what am I doing playing with speakers-subs like this?

2. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Brian I am afraid there is some truth to what you say and it does come up. It has been years now and HT has been a help. Some would say us ex boozers can be a little extreme. This can be a pro or a con.[​IMG]

4. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Steve,

I, fo rone, would be VERY intersted to read what you find in your comparison. I have ad my DSL sub for a little over a year. It has been mentioned recently in sever other threads on this forum.

For the record, it cost $14 to have mine shipped. That included at Parts Express catalog. I don't kn if that's god or bad.

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I think $14 is very reasonable considering. You know I just received mail yesterday stating in transit and I ordered yesterday. Whats the scoop? Do they work on Thanksgiving day? Top notch so far for Parts Express. I would not hold it against them to take a day off though.

6. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

You had to pay shipping? I won an e-bay auction for the 10" DLS V.D. active, and I called them today. They said shipping for Dec is free (Whoo hoo. Saved $42). Too bad it wasnt a day late for you. I'm not sure they were open. I emailed them yesterday, but they didnt respond until today.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Free shipping is nice. I guess that option is only through auction sites though where a member from Parts Express periodically posts items for sale there. Or, will it be offered through their Internet store also?

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Looks like I was mistaken on the shipment. When I printed confirmation I only printed the first page. My wife printed the second page when she turned the printer back on in the evening. Dumb me. Caught again! When I got up for work there was the second page of the confirmation on the counter with a note reading--"Caught you. Too much time on your hands"? Looks like I will just have to bare the cross for a day or so. Best to get it done and over though? [​IMG]

9. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Steve,
    There are some recent threads on the DLS sub. It has received some positive feedback, including a few good words from Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio (if you read these posts frequently, you know who he is). I just ordered the DLS also- have a small child, too, and understand the dealings with the wife all too well. She doesn't appreciate it very much, but at least my 7 year old does- Disney sound is quite impressive, isn't it?
    I hope after your compare the Sony or whatever else to the DLS, you keep us posted so we can all read what you have to say. I'll post as soon as I receive my DLS, but, unlike you, will have nothing to compare it with. This is my first sub until I can sit down to do the research and make my own.

Walt, I think you're talking about a different sub- the 10" Vance Dickason sub, not the Dayton DLS 10." The VD is supposed to be a great sub by the way- free shipping- fantastic! How much did you get it for? (You don't have to answer that, of course) I'm pretty sure the sub your talking about will eat the DLS 10" for lunch, but that's what you pay for. I would like to know how the Vance Dickason compares to the famous VTF-2, but that's another thread- I think. Maybe this DLS 10"- the smaller one- will become a big hit like the Sony has on this forum. For some reason, though, I don't think it will. I don't dare say why just yet, though. It's still only a theory.

10. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I think that is what got me going on this Jose? I have been seeing some bits here and there on the DLS and then Brian's comment about it possibly being the best sub he has herd for $300 or less plus possibly a little more extension than the 40. Someone over in the DIY section saw it at a show and thought it a better performer than the 40 to? Allot of advice is given on this forum about the WM-40, with myself included. Is it still the best advice? I will know for myself anyway in a short time and it should be fun to play with [​IMG] . I took a smaller sub out of retirement to help out another HTF member with calibration and limits. I have found myself using this sub now when I need to keep the DB's down and it has been a big help. I placed it right next to the couch under a corner table which is like 3ft. away from my location. I figure now I could replace that sub with the DLS if I like it? So all would not be lost. Regarding the WAF- this will be my fifth sub to come into the house in less than a year, so I guess she might possibly have a honest issue? I will have to mull that over. We have a new year right around the corner though! Yes Disney sound is quit impressive. We had M Inc. on Thanksgiving and everyone was quit impressed especially with the bass. They do such a good job imo.

11. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Oh Boy! I'm infamous now! [​IMG] Guys, just keep in mind that I was referring to $300 retail. I wouldn't include the larger VD designed 10" that Parts Express sells. But when I heard the DLS 10 at the DIY Atlanta event I was really impressed with it. And Ronnie Ferrell was sitting right next to me and felt the same way. IIRC, he said something to the affect that he felt you could sell them for $250 retail all day long.
    We were listening to music and didn't throw too much bass at it, but the general concensus in the room was that it was remarkably "tight and tuneful". Having built a couple of subs using one of the very inexpensive Dayton 8" drivers I can tell you they had great extension, so if this sub is tuned properly I think you should get good extension into the upper 20's.
    Make sure you let us all know what you think when you get yours! I sure hope both of you are happy since it seems that my recommendation carried a bit of weight with you guys! [​IMG]

13. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Don't worry Brian, your not on the hot seat. I have seen posts go in both directions without one really knowing from experience on both or either of these subs. My expectations are as follows-- The DLS will perform better for music and the Sony will out-gun the DLS in the HT application???? If the DLS could perform close to the Sony in HT and best it on the music front, imo I think it would be a strong contender against the Sony? It will be fun finding out anyway.

14. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

UPDATE! I just spoke with Ron whom I sold the Sony to. He will have no problem swapping subs so I can compare the meter readings. He also will be able to give me his impressions of the DLS opposed to the Sony. I plan on adding the "SW-35 HT" sub that comes stock with the Kenwood 504 and the 505 to the mix.

15. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Just some clarification. The V.D. I got is not the same as this one. I got the kit for $270 on ebay. It was supposed to be $42 for shipping according to the ebay post. When I called I was told that in Dec. parts express shipping is free. It's apparently free on only some stuff.
    http://www.partsexpress.com/eflyer/seeflyer.html
    Anyway, I have alot of hope for this kit, and I really hope I'm not let down. I think their free shipping is on stuff that is heavy, and might otherwise make you hesitate mail order. Anyway, it seems the subs and sub kits are free shipping. Happy shopping.

16. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Maybe I will luck-out and realize the free shipping possibly? I found out it ships on Monday. Parts Express can't be making to high a margin on the DLS to ship free I would think? You never know, they buy stuff by the truck load.

17. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well Friday came and so did the DLS. It was packed very well and double boxed. The first thing I noticed about this sub was it's appearance. It looks and feels nice and solid. Not one ding and the black ash exterior looks great to me. The grill fit flush and tight and the Amp for being a part of a $100 sub looks to me as nice as I have seen. No spring connectors and HI-Low options with auto on-off.
    I will add the numbers latter but so far it seems to be a very good value for $100. This is not a boomy sub imo. I do not think it will take the Sony in HT slam but I have not tested the Sony yet. I Am relying on memory. I have done the numbers on the Kenwood SW-HT 35 and the DLS thus far. Just very basic meter readings at certain points in scenes. I will try to pick-up the Sony today so I can post all N0. and impressions.[​IMG]

18. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Hey Steve,

Are you going to try to test the freq. response of the subs, I would be very interested to see how low the subs play. I'm debating between the two for my parents HT.

19. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well frank this is the best I can do but it should give you a good moderate idea.

In Star Wars I at the "elevator scene" prior to the pod race the DLS came in at 84db at -15 and the Kenwood came in at 76db at -15. This scene will test extension and I would expect the Sony to Shine over the DLS in this scene. It might not but we shall see. I think this scene will-should serve our purpose in extension?

20. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Steve
    Do you have a freq disc?
    As the others mentioned this would give you/us a much beter idea of true extension.
    Then do some music listening and give us your take on which of the the low dollar units seems to be the most accurate at that. Movies are much more forgiving than music as you know!
    Be sure to re-cali for each sub.. I am sure you "probley are already aware of that" but just wanted to mention it in case it slipped your mind.
    Exact same location for each sub too...
    Mention their supposed amp power too, please.
    Good luck testing and many are looking forward to your test evaluation. Be sure to mention if any Sub has been modded...
    That would be considered cheating. [​IMG]
    An 8", 10", and 12" = interesting!!!
    All by different manufactures, Garth say, EXCELLENT...[​IMG]
    Cheers
    Geoff