1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

DLS Sub from Parts Express-$100

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn.G, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Is this a good sub for the money? How about the KLH one step up on parts express? I am on a limited budget and will get a better sub-HSU-next year. Are these good subs for 80%music?

2. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I'm no expert in this field, but I like mine. This sub has been mentioned in several threads, so a search would be a good idea. I'd like to compare it with other subs, both in it's price range and with pricier ones.

some day.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hey Jack
    I see your located in Redford, interesting as a year or so ago I worked on the Detriot Edisons home base location down their in Redford. About 2 years ago I think, it was when they re-did the whole parking lot area. Expanded it and then paved all of it. Gosh that job sucked as they came in and out all day, (the Big Trucks & Pole Trailers) also all the trucks, pick ups and trailers had to re-turn and park at night. Over a 100 of them big ass trucks everyday in and out. ugggg [​IMG]
    Made for a very frustrating job.
    Just found it intersting your from the area, and I worked on that job. We live way north west of Grand Rapaids but I work in the Detroit area most of the time.
    Your DLS-10
    Glad you appear to like it, at it's price point and being Built by and with Dayton parts, I would suspect it to perform decent (especially at it's price point).
    Have you modded it in anyway???
    Like dampening the walls inside or a little poly fill?
    I have no idea if it comes with this done alread or not.
    I don't own one, but Brian of Rutledge Audio just heard one with a set of DIY speaks at a DIY meet just recently. He told me that they all were "quite surprised" at it's performance... Coming from Brian, (who definitly knows about quailty bass & subs), this says allot about this 99.00 budget 10" sub.....
    Cheers
    Geoff

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Geoff,

Thanks for the kind words! :b Yes, I was quite impressed with the DLS sub. I don't know if any mods were made to it or not, but having heard the Sony 12" sub in BB, I'd take the DLS over it any day. And if you need more output, just buy 2!

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Brian
    Oh your just tooooo modest! [​IMG]
    I've seen your work and heard the praise pounded out threw this forum, (hey I made a funny) along with the many others that speak to and or own one of your desiged subs and or speaker products.
    You got it going on, and one hell of a nice guy to boot...
    Those of you whom may not know of Brian, this guy can build you a sub to "your specifcations" (size, finish, design per given dollar amout) that will destroy anything you could purchase for the "same dollar amount" in the comercial world...
    And that ain't no BULL....
    Regards
    Geoff
    Aha, back to regular DLS-10 programing, sorry got carried away there for a minute.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Shawn, you're a lucky man. You have Jack who owns one, Geoff who knows his stuff, and Brian- the master sub maker- responding to your DLS 10 thread. I'm impressed! I just ordered the DLS 10 this weekend and can't wait for it to be shipped. I've heard the Sony described as sloppy on the forum, even after mods, but I know there are many who like it. But I would go with Brian's recommendation anyday! In fact, I did. The next step is DIY for me.

7. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Brian and everybody, I have a post on the DIY forum, please check that out. I am probably going to go with DIY, and I have no clue where to start. Please help me out!! Thanks!!

8. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Geoff,

No mods. Just plugged it in and did a half baked calibration with a Stryke Audio test cd and RS SPL meter. It was originally hooked up from my stereo amp to the speakers. Now it's hooked up o the sub output from my refurbed Pioneer AV receiver. I bought a Monster subwoofer cable because the patch cord I was using wasn't long enough for where I wanted to put the sub.

9. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

Jack, how's it sound?

10. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Shawn,

It sounds fine to me. I could tell more of adifference when calibratin it than I could wih any music I listened to. That might mean that "Planet Drum" (MIckey Hart) and my Saint-Sains Organ Symphony don't have as much deep bass as I thought or thaI'm just not sensiteve to it.

11. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

What's the X-Over at on the DLS? 80hz.,150hz.? I'm wondering if 2 will match up well with my "gutless" Maggies, after I filter those. Music, 2ch. only.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The DLS's crossover is fully adjustable from 40-160Hz.

13. Meaux

Meaux Stunt Coordinator

The reason I thought about the DLS was not to overpower the Maggies, which you know you can piss louder than those things. I think I should box em' up and sell anyway.

14. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Trust me, Meaux, a DLS 10 can play louder than one can piss. No problem. My wife complains all the time.[​IMG]