What's new

DLS - is my room just too big? (1 Viewer)

BillP

Auditioning
Ok,

Thanks to everyones help, I think I got my new DLS (with new replacement amp) set up correctly (I think). On 811s, speakers small, Xover 100, and crossover on DLS all the way up (160). The sound is great! Tight bass without boom. Mixes great with music. But I am beginning to think my room may be too big as I sometimes lightly bottom out the sub on HT (running 811s at about -35db on LOTR(DTS6.1ver), SPL reading about 85db avg). Also, it seems strange to me how hard I have to push the sub to calibrate the sub. On my receiver I have the sub level at 0, and I have to turn my DLS up halfway (12 0'clock) to calibrate. I have an SPL meter, and am just using the THX optimizer on Star Wars II (not the best I'm sure). I am calibrating at 85db. To get the DLS to read 85db's I have to turn it up halfway and have 811s at 0 for the sub level. There is no way I can run the thing hot 3 to 4db's like most people suggest. I can bump the reciever setting for the sub to say +3 or +4, and back down the DLS a little, but it still bottoms out at times (mostly LOTR and Star Wars II). I've tried everything: moved the sub all over the room with still roughly the same SPL readings, and I've added Y cable to go into both inputs. Ok, so again I'm thinking its my room, 19x18x9, but also the back wall there is an open stair well that leads up to a bonus room, (28x15) that does not have a door at the top. I close all the doors I can, but I still find myself wanting more bass. The bass is good, but I find myself wanting to be more powerful, like +3 to 5db's hot, but I can't get this. So, is the DLS just too small? Am I still doing something wrong, is the DLS broken (again)? If I do need a "bigger" sub, would the Audiosource 15 do the trick, would I like it's sound as much? Anyway, sorry to ramble, but any insight from others would be appreciated, especially anyone else who has the 811s, (I'd be curious how you have yours set the the DLS).

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The DLS's main weakness may be the fact that it's only a 10" driver. LOTR is a hot mix ( I have the DD copy, I've heard the DTS is "a bit more quiet").

The Optimode may not be the best way to cal a sub - there has been much discussion on that - so your results may not be true. I really don't know.

Movies tend to kill a sub that is fine on music - explosions are - well - explosions, whereas a bass player should cruise along with everyone else, not dominate. Hence your feelings...you ain't alone.

The AS 15" is a good sub for the money, but from what I've heard, the box is a bit light, the sound is a little boomy. If you can get one for under $200, go for it. Maybe invest in a cheap EQ (may work for the DLS as well) to tame any peaks in the response, and look for a model with an adjustable rumble filter to kill the sub-bass. Like the ART 351 at zzounds.com. You can play with the AS's box, too, maybe plugging the ports or stuffing it, etc.

Anyway (didn't mean to be so long) your room isn't the problem, you just need more woof, or need to make more efficient use of said woof.

Good Luck!

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
if you could score another dls that would give you about another 6 db headroom (which is what you seem to want)...

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Based on the above, you should not use their THX Optimizer to REFERENCE Calibrate your speakers, you should use your internal AV Receiver's test tones @ 75 dB!*

*NOTE: Your AV Receiver internal test tones also uses -30dBFS tones = 75 dB SPL

Hope this helps,
Phil

BillP

Auditioning
Thanks for the info guys, it's good to know my sub is most likely "normal". I'll recalibrate at 75 DB and see where it leads me, and possibly look into an equalizer. (Has anyone else tried this (high pass filter) with a DLS with good results?) Overall I really can't complain much about a $99 sub that sounds so good, I'll probably just have to watch how hard I push it.

BillP

Auditioning
nice try, I don't think I am going to sell. BTW, I read your post about Sony WM40 vs. DLS10. I had a Sony in my house (just returned to Best Buy). Anyway, DLS is much better (tighter and more musical), but it seems you know that already!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks