DLS 10 discontinued, Alternatives? DIY help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Morlan Liu, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Morlan Liu

Morlan Liu Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a Yamaha RX-V530 w/JBL NSP1's and need a subwoofer to complete my first HT project.

I was about to purchase the DLS 10 after reading much praise, but it's discontinued!

So what other alternatives? Better or worse? I heard the Sony SA-WM40 was the recommended subwoofer before the DLS 10. I would rather not get it since I consciously know that the DLS 10 was cheaper and better. So any alternatives? Can I build something as good or better than the DLS 10 for that price? Please help! Thanks!

2. Michael.Cu

Michael.Cu Agent

The Sony is on sale at Sears.com---134.89 + ~16.00 shipping. Sale ends Saturday. I doubt you"ll be able to find anything else for ~150.00 that will compete.

3. Matt Nevala

Matt Nevala Stunt Coordinator

4. BillP

BillP Auditioning

I had the Sony (returned to Best Buy) and DLS (kept) in my house at the same time. The DLS is better, but I found it was most noticably better for music, not HT (it is still better though). In fact, I feel I was able to get a little more output from the Sony (I know many would debate this, and I can't say I did in depth testing). It may just be that the Sony is a 12" compared to the DLS 10". Anyway I think you'll be happy with the Sony if you can get it for $150. (Whatever you do don't get the Acoustic Research PR1212, you can find it online for around $200, and it is powerful (250 Watts), but it was really boomy and annoying when I tried it out, Sony would be a much better choice).

5. Jeffrey R

Jeffrey R Stunt Coordinator

You might want to look into the new Velodyne VX-10, which is about $170 at 6th Ave. electronics. I was also planning on purchasing the DLS, but now, I am waiting for more feedback on the VX-10, as it is a brand new budget offering from Velodyne. I am hoping to make it to 6th Ave. soon in NJ to take a listen myself.

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

You can still buy the DLS 10. It's on Parts Express's Webpage.

Seth

7. Joey_N

Joey_N Agent

If you click on the link though to the detail page, it comes up as "DISCONTINUED DLS 10" POWERED SUBWOOFER SYSTEM"

8. Michael.Cu

Michael.Cu Agent

I just wanted to add---you can actually save a few more bucks by pricematching the Sony sub @ Best Buy. Should came out to ~140.00 after tax and you wouldn't have to wait for it to be shipped if you choose in-store pick-up.

9. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

10. Morlan Liu

Morlan Liu Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've purchased a DLS 10 from a friend. Hope I made the right choice! From what I read on these forums, I'm confident in my purchase. Thanks!

11. jeff_str

jeff_str Auditioning

holy crap, this is awful! why didn't i see more about this on the forums? i was really looking forward to purchasing one because I wanted an inexpensive sub that would be great for music as well as HT. i finally got the cash and now i'm screwed!

anyone know for sure if they will never be offered again? i guess the term 'discontinued' probably means it won't.

i can just see them popping up on ebay for twice as much...

--jeff_str

12. Joey_N

Joey_N Agent

Another thread talked about whether another budget sub from PartsExpress would someday replace the DLS 10 here.

13. jeff_str

jeff_str Auditioning

Thanks for that. I guess all is not entirely lost. I'll wait for a couple more months and see what happens. I'm very cautious about using a sub for music, but people seemed to like this one. I hope the next model will at least be on par (or still better than the Sony).

--jeff_str

14. Joey_N

Joey_N Agent

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you Jeff.

Since I'm in an apartment, I'm in no particular rush to buy a great sub (well, other than the kid in me wanting it now [​IMG]) Will play around with options for another month or 2, see how things shake out.