DLS 10 Blown...replacement?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Matt Nevala, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Matt Nevala

Matt Nevala Stunt Coordinator

After 3 years my old faithfull died on me (I always thought the amp was too powerful for the sub they used in these things...not to mention Im already on my second amp)

So I want to still use my enclosure but im thinking about maybe going with this sub instead since it will work in the enclouse and can handle more wattage. Goldwood GW-10PC -

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-324

any other suggestions would be appriciated...im trying to keep it cheap. The amp I *think* runs 110 rms @ 8 and 150rms @ 4. The cutout diameter is exactly 9''.

2. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

A blown driver doesn't necessarily mean the amp was too powerful. An underpowered amp that is clipping can also do this to a driver.

That Goldwood driver requires a 9 1/8" cutout so some trimming of the hole would be required. I would just go with one of Dayton's Series II woofers which will fit without trimming. It'll cost about $25 more but they are built well and I have a 12" and 15" sub with drivers I replaced with these woofers (replaced the amps with Daytons also) and they sound really good, but only after plugging one of two ports on the BIC 12" enclosure and plugging both ports (now sealed) on the Merak 15" enclosure. I wonder what woofer Dayton used that is now blown.

I do like the cast aluminum frame and binding posts of the Goldwood though. Too bad it's a little too big.