What's new

DLPTV vs RPTV (1 Viewer)

Aris A

Stunt Coordinator
Just a question regarding wide screen tv's coz i'm planning to buy a 65" hdtv and i'm confused right now with what I'm going to choose. My brother bought a 55" Mitsubishi hdtv and it looks great but somehow i not impressed with the projection its giving out...its too dark even at straight on viewing. Does it need some optimizing? Comparing the 2 technology which one is most worth it?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Your brother's Mitsu is probably not calibrated properly. (Or the room lighting may have been too bright. Or both.) But remember that CRT-based RPTVs won't put out the light a direct-view set will, and their field of view is more limited.

DLP rear projectors might offer better light output and contrast ratio, but they still don't yield deep, rich blacks, which is something CRTs excel at.

DLP may very well catch up with CRT some day soon, but, for now, tried-and-true cathode tubes are king.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks