DLPs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GabeP, Dec 30, 2004.

1. GabeP

GabeP Stunt Coordinator

Everytime i go into circuit city and look at the dlps, they always look awful, discolored, and distorted. Is it just me or do they suck?

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Just you, and please refrain from eating the Three Billy Goats Gruff.[​IMG]

3. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

It would be hard to judge a display in a place like CC. Go to a A/V store that uses proper lighting and has a better knowledge of the products they sell.

4. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

Every single television at Circuit City, Best Buy, Brandsmart USA, etc, always look *horrible* to me. Maybe it's because they split the same signal to all of them so there's a lot of signal loss along the way, I dunno. Frankly I'm amazed they ever sell any sets AT ALL that way.

But then I go over to my brother-in-law's house, where they have three expensive RP HDTVs, and all three of them are out of focus, badly colimated, and generally facing a solid wall six feet away with a couch stuck in front of it almost as an afterthought. They don't actually watch them, they're just background noise, like a fireplace. Tiled floors, arched ceilings, two barking dogs, and three kids might have something to do with that. And the set's usually just tuned to the latest reality show anyway, with a $50 DVD player composite-jacked to the set and sitting mostly forgotten on a nearby shelf, with a couple of plastic boxes from Blockbuster sitting somewhere nearby.

Perhaps that's your typical viewer right there, and if so then maybe Circuit City has the right idea after all. As for me, I get a headache just thinking about it.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It's just circuit city.

Though I am a CRT guy myself, but you can't judge displays unless they've been calibrated, etc, which is very unlikely at most any chain stores.