What's new

DLP, what is everyone's opinion? (1 Viewer)

John Vogler

Auditioning
I only recently discovered DLP projection television, and would appreciate the opinions of those who own such equipment. I have been looking at a 50" Samsung, but I understand Samsung is about to introduce the new line within a few weeks, and I guess I'll wait for awhile.

Are there other brands members prefer? What do you thin about DLP vs other types?
Seems to me that the DLP technology offers a pretty good alternative to the still very expensive plasmas. Your input please!

John

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also looking at the Samsung DLP, but I'm going for the 43 inch model. Theres a new hln series coming out in replacement of the hlm series, with many improvements. I seen the 60 inch model the other day and it looks impressive. I have a Toshiba 42h81 and the one major problem with the tv is its soft image and convergence issues.

The Samsung however has great sharpness and intense detail, and the colors after calibration are practically perfect. Im excited by DLP also because of the perfect convergence and geometry. No more perfecting the grid.
I want to see the tv running through the dvi input, Ive heard its amazing, I can't wait to get one.

What dvd player do you have John?
I'm getting the new denon 2900 with sacd, dvd audio, and farouja progressive scan, can't wait should be getting it all in april/may.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Have you seen the Samsung DLP in action? How does it look to you with black and white and dark movies?

Carl Mulder

Stunt Coordinator
I was lord of the rings, star wars and some high definition material. The dvd movies looked exellent and high def stuff looked even better. The whites looked perfect and the blacks didn't look to have a problem.
They reviewed in this months home theater magazine and the calibration test were very impressive.
I don't think the black level is going to be an issue with this tv, check out the new hln series and home theater magazine.

colors and resolution are stunning.

MarkDesMarais

Stunt Coordinator
Like any technology, there are plusses and minuses. I have a Samsung 507 (about two months old now).

+
Super sharp
Bright
Decent colors
NO BURNIN (can watch in OAR no matter what it is)
Works great as a PC monitor
Light
Great form factor for small room

-
Yes, rainbows do exist, at least for some
Some banding
That super sharp? well, on poor SD (Dishnetwork) it can be too revealing.
Bulb concerns
Geometry is fixed- optical problems are not fixable (slight negative pincusion, most notable on 4:3)

All told, we're very happy with the TV. I'd do it again. As far as waiting for the newer models, I think the ergonomics will be improved, but not much is being done electronics-wise to them, and nothing optically.

I'm driving component for DVD, svideo for everything else. I have the PC driving the VGA port. No HDTV yet.

Markd

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
DLP with the new HD2 chip is the way to go. Prices have come down quite a bit and picture quality has iproved. I am almost ready to upgrade my current 1st gen hdtv. I am also looking into the new LCOS technology that seems to be superior to DLP. Also just to correct you Carl. The new Denon 2900, which I am also considering, has a different type of video processing. It is actually called the silicon image DVDO PureProgressive decoding engine. I have heard that it is as good as the Faroudja technology maybe even better.

jimmy~e

Agent
I just purchased the NEC HT1000 DLP front projector three weeks ago. I love it. Black levels are superb, contrast is amazing, I see no rainbow effects thus far. I am projecting it onto a white textured living room wall at 12 feet and with a high definition signal or dvd, its like looking out of a window. With standard definition digital cable or S-VHS time shifted tv programs, its better than my 36" Toshiba Cinema Series CRT which is now relegated to the bedroom! I can't imagine what the HT1000 will be like if I get a real screen!

Mike X

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know when Samsung will release the HLN line to replace the HLM's? I have seen them referenced in this thread and others but can find no evidence of them anywhere?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I had an NEC HT1000...excellent projector! But, I had to return it because the rainbows are prominent for me. I wish it had a 5x color wheel. Also, my best friend gets major eyestrain and tension. I also noticed, after packing it up for return, that I had a very slight tension headache throughout the week I was using it, but went away within 24 hours of not viewing it!

I've had a total of 70 hours total DLP viewing time (20 on the HT1000). You'd figure a slight tension behind the eyes would be gone by then. Guess DLP is not for me. :frowning:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
LCOS is very similar to LCD. The main difference is that the circuitry does not surround each pixel like in LCD, so the pixel covers more area (over 85% I think, versus 60%-75% with LCD). Thus, the image can be brighter, and there is less apparent "screendoor" effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks