What's new

DLP vs SXRD (1 Viewer)

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a 42" DLP Samsung with the color wheel. I've enjoyed it for a few years but recently picked up a BD player and want the ability to project 1080p; however, here is my problem, the Samsung I currently own has produced a weird issue that stomped the repairman that came to check it out. On the left side of the TV, about 9 or 10" in, the picture is darker than the rest of the TV. The repairman thought it might be the color wheel, but I've yet to hear back from them.

So here my issue arises, I've had great luck with my old XBR CRT, hell my girlfriend still uses it for her main TV. But I've read about the "yellow stain" issue with the SXRD displays, something I don't want to deal with. I've been reading up on the new LED light engine and I have to say I'm intrigued.

So which is better, the SXRD chip vs the LED light engine, if I understood what I was reading the LED has a higher contrast ratio than the SXRD. I need to go view the new DLPs vs the SXRD engine; just wanted to the thoughts of the experts here.

I'm seriously looking to upgrade, just want to make sure the choice I make it the right one.

Oh, the model info:

Samsung HL - T5087S or T5089S DLP: can't see a difference in these two models so I would probably go with the older model to save cash

Sony KDS - 50A2020 or the A3000: haven't done a side by side on the feature differences, but I doubt they're worth $300.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Funny, I'm pondering the exact same thing. I'd love to see some replies here as well. However, I am curious about this "yellow stain". What is it, and is it in the current crop of SXRDs? If so, is it a nightmare thing or a hardly noticeable thing? And can it be corrected?

But yes, both technologies look pretty good. A sales person at one store told me that the LED Samsung isn't as bright as the SXRDs, but from what I know about LEDs, it should in fact be brighter. Of course, on their display it clearly was dimmer, but I suspect they played with the settings and either intentionally or accidentally dimmed it. Any thoughts on this?

- Mike

SethH

Senior HTF Member

This is actually a common complaint against the Samsung LED sets. Many people say that they are not as bright as the non-LED Samsung sets. I do not have an explanation for this. I've viewed both in a store and have found this to be true (could be store settings as you mentioned). However, I would still go with the LED set personally for the 20,000+ hour bulb and the lack of a color wheel.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've heard the Samsung LEDs are a bitch to ISF. Maybe Gregg can chime.

I've been considering replacing my CRT RPTV with either the Samsung DLP (LED maybe), but since I will get it ISF'd, I'm not sure which display would be best.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I've had a 50-inch SXRD since early February and have had no problems at all. The picture is bright, vibrant and has beautiful color, with no visible pixel structure because the pixels are so close together.

The "yellow stain," aka the "green blob" was a problem with early SXRDs. Poke around the owner's threads at AVSForum for current models for more feedback if you have specific questions.

A word of warning: Gregg hates SXRDs, so don't expect him to have anything nice to say about them.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
a word of warning...
its not that i dont like any technology...its just if you cant have color uniformity then consumers need to know about that, and that is exactly the problem with SXRDs, whether they be early generation stuff of newer stuff.
I see it with the Sonys (RP and FP ruby and pearls) and with the JVC FP units. It will only get worse with time....you have been warned.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
added note:
the samsung LEDs are fine to calibrate. Make sure your calibrator uses some time of spectro radiometer.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
The shading on the side of the DLP is a bad "light tube" (made of 4 mirrors glued together to form a square "Tube"). This is actually available as a repair part on most Samsungs and should not require replacing the entire light engine as it does with many brands; probably not cheap but reasonable.

Just remember that SXRD is many development years behind DLP and had to be designed to avoid infringing upon existing Texas Instrument's patents and designs. (they are both reflective technologies, I believe.... and it will always be those years behind.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Gregg,

Which give better picture quality of the Samsungs after calibration: the LED or lamp?

I'm now considering the HL-T6176S (lamp) or HL-T6187S (LED). One source did tell me the "76S" models are not as good.

Also, I'm hearing some of the LEDs are having prism problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks