What's new

dlp vs. lcd vs. plasma (1 Viewer)

mcarry

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty Carry
Helping my father get a new complete system, would like to start with the tv. I have a projector and haven't shopped for this in the past. Don't have a blank check but pretty close. Looking to build a complete system, so do not need speakers. Want the best quality without over paying...probably 65" screen with multiple hdmi and other inputs to be ready for things down the road. Also will need help with the best receiver same criteria. Help is appreciated. Thanks, Marty.

mcarry

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty Carry
couple of things I should have mentioned...he has a well lit room and has plenty of viewing distance. Thanks again.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
A few good options to consider:

- Mitsubishi 65" or 73" DLP -- WD-65833 & WD-73833 -- $3000 & $4300
- Sony 60" SXRD -- KDS-60A3000 -- $2500
- JVC 65" HD-ILA -- HD-65S998 -- ~$3700
- Panasonic 65" Plasma Monitor* -- TH-65PF9UK -- ~$6600
- Sharp Aquos 65" LCD -- LC-65D90U -- $6700

*The panny does not have HDMI, but it has a slot for add-on cards. An HDMI card costs around $150 -- this gives you the option for future types of connections as well.

As you can see, at this size the flat panels command a significant premium. IMO the premium is not worth it, but if you essentially have a blank check then it may come down to room decor, etc.

mcarry

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty Carry
Thanks Seth, looking for guidance on what type to recommend, what is everyone's thoughts on dlp vs. lcd vs. plasma? Can we start there? Also, I have not shopped for this type of tv before so we are not married to a flat screen just something that will be MUCH less cumbersome than the 10 year old 60" he has. Does that help?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
DLP or LCoS will give you much more for your money than LCD or Plasma. Each tech has its own quirks, but for pure PQ I think DLP or LCoS is your best bet. Consider flat panels if physical design is most important.

I just got a Toshiba 65HM167 DLP, and I am *very* happy with it. Paid less than $1600 with a coupon at Circuit City, too. As far as less cumbersome, it only weighs 83 pounds. I can easily slide it around on its stand when I need to get at the jacks on the back.

mcarry

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty Carry
Thanks Aaron. Just curious, what do you anticipate the LCD / Plasma fans saying as to what makes them better over DLP? I want to make sure which ever direction I advise my dad is the right way to go. Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I, personally, prefer the LCoS (JVC HD-ILA or Sony SXRD). I've seen them hooked up to a good HD source, and they had incredible pictures. Best I've seen. I wouldn't consider a DLP, until they come out with the 3 chip models. The single chip models require the color wheel, and that's just something else to go wrong. The pictures look good on them though.

I have started to like the 1080p models of LCD tvs. They also look pretty good. I never did like the 720p models. To me, the pictures always looked kinda fuzzy, even while playing HD.

Plasmas, I don't care for at all. The glass screen reflects everything in the room, just like my old CRT tvs always have, and I hate that. They say Panasonic has a new plasma with an anti-reflective screen, but I won't have anything else Panasonic. If other brands have models with screens that don't reflect, I may end up liking them more. People like mounting plasmas over fireplaces and such, but that's more of a design thing, than an actual practical thing. I would think that over a fireplace would be the worst place in the world to hang one.

After seeing most everything available, in the stores, and seeing different types in some homes, I still say the best pictures are on the LCoS models. The only downside to them, that I can see, is the bulbs have to be replaced every few years. But, I figure it's worth that, to have the best picture (to my eyes anyway). Other's will argue these points. There's always someone that will disagree with your decision, no matter what it is.................
Good luck with whatever y'all end up with. :)

mcarry

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty Carry
Wow, thanks Ed, I have lot's to learn. Any other feedback out there. Any thoughts on JVC vs. Sony. One of my Dads concerns is simplicity, one advantage I can see with Sony is buying ALL sony which hopefully will translate into an easier remote operation.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You could always get a Harmony remote. They will work everything, and very user friendly. Wives usually like them too. Easy to program online. You type in the model numbers of your equipment, and download the settings into the remote via a usb cable (included).

There's a button labeled "Watch Movie". With everything off, you push that button, and it turns on the tv, and puts it on the right input. It also turns on the dvd player, and then turns on the A/V receiver, and puts it in "DVD" mode. Just put the movie in the player, and you're ready to go.

Same thing with tv. Push "Watch TV" button, it turns on tv, and puts it on the right input, and turns on the cable box or sat box, and turns on the A/V receiver, and puts it in "TV" mode. Turns everything off, with push of one button too.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Yep, I'll second the Harmony remote. So far great customer service too. When things didn't work exactly like they should they programmed the remote on thier end via USB cable and voila everything works!
I'm not a big fan of LCD or Plasma. In my pro experience I have seen way too many problems so my vote is for SXRD or front projection, better bangs for the buck.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Really their main advantage is aesthetics. Even the newest 120 Hz LCD sets have some trouble with motion artifacts (although they're better than the old sets). The image on the $15,000 plasma at the local Best Buy Magnolia room looks very nice, but not ten times as nice as the image on my $1500 DLP.

As far as LCoS vs. DLP, I would go to stores and examine them for yourself. Some people like the LCoS picture better, and some like the DLP picture better. Different people react differently to stuff like the "rainbow effect" or "screen door" effect. Some people can't stand DLP because the rainbows stand out for them, but others don't notice the rainbows at all.

Nobody can really predict which one *you* (and your dad) will like better between LCoS and DLP. So I think it's very important that you guys spend some time actually looking at sets. Not to mention that's the fun part! ;)

mcarry

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty Carry
aaron, tomorrow is the first (and maybe only) shopping day. my dad is eager to get something. I believe I was reading a prior post of yours before you bought your new baby and you were dead set against a dlp. I have been leaning towards the sony sxrd 60" but I am sure they will have some 65 or 70dlp's to look at. any final words of advice...I see you were leaning on greg in prior posts, what was his take on dlp vs. lcos? thanks, marty.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hi Marty,

I was offline pretty much all day yesterday -- hope you see this in time. I was never against DLP; that might've been a different Aaron. :) Gregg was very strongly in favor of DLP over LCoS because he told me he's seen a lot of issues develop in LCoS sets over time. He's had the most experience with different types of sets of anyone I know, since he's calibrated them all.

My final piece of advice is to just have fun! I'm sure your dad will enjoy whatever he gets. If you REALLY can't decide, just get the Toshiba. We love it. :)

mcarry

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty Carry
Thanks Aaron, I was reading a ton of posts and must have gotten you confused with someone else. We did not do the deed yesterday but did get a chance to see the sony sxrd 60" and I think we are leaning in that direction. We are definately getting a rptv no lcd or plasma. The entertainment system my dad has may perfectly fit the sxrd and I can tell he is more comfortable with the Sony brand. With that being the case we are looking at the top of the line Sony Receivers anyone have any feedback on those. Thanks to all for their help. Marty.

mcarry

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty Carry
Thanks Ed, the store we looked at the sxrd 60" rptv had that receiver, it is the top candidate.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
If you're gonna get a DLP, then you should seriously consider Samsung's new LED DLP.

http://www.marketnews.ca/news_detail.asp?nid=2323

Best selling feature: It has no color wheel. It's still single chip, it just flashes red, green and blue LED light instead.

However, I'm one of those who thinks plasma is good, and I drool over the latest Panasonic models. can't say much about the glare, but you can't beet the plasma for off-angle viewing. I find that all rear-projector TVs suffer from off-angle viewing, and it's quite noticeable as you move around.

Just my two cents.

- Mike

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My co-worker's 3 year old DLP became afflicted with a busted color wheel last week, so he's going to try and get the replacement color wheel part ($95) and replace it himself and hope that fixes the problem (but I fear that some other circuit board fried itself, and he might be throwing money away if it's a problematic circuit board that fries the new color wheel as well).

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I went through this same scenario starting about a month ago. I first had my mind set on a plasma but after doing research and checking different ones out I decided to go with a Mitsubishi 57" DLP 1080P.

My room has plenty of light so the plasma would not work for me. Also, for the money DLP offers so much more. I bought mine at HHGregg. I went into the store and told them that I know that they can sell these TVs for much cheaper than what they are asking. The salesman asked me how much I wanted to pay. I told him that I would by the TV for the $1600 they were asking if he would throw in the $400 matching stand for free. After a few minutes he came back and told me that he could do it. This same TV at C.C. is listed for $1900.00. For a plasma that size I would have had to fork out about $6,000 or $7,000.

Like someone else stated plasmas are a cosmetic thing. People by them to so they can hang on the wall. With a plasma you will not get much life out of it. With DLP you may need to replace the bulb every few years but most liekly you will not have to toss it in the trash like you would a plasma.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks