What's new

DLP vs. LCD - The Discussion Thread that Combines Them ALL (1 Viewer)

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
Good points were made by David, and they are exactly why I went with the Pioneer Pro-530HDI CRT instead of a newer technology. Well, technically, I haven't gone with it yet. I'll be purchasing it in Nov. before the $500 rebate expires.

Arguably, a properly calibrated CRT rear projection has a better picture than DLP and LCD. I know there will come a day when that won't be the case, but for now, in mine and many other's opinions, it is. There may be aspects of the new technologies that best the CRT's, but for overall picture quality, CRT's still have an edge.

Remember, though, that CRT has had a much, much longer time to mature as a technology. A CRT oscilloscope was was produced as long ago as 1897 by Karl Ferdinand Braun! LCD and DLP devices are virtually still in the womb compared to CRT displays.

Last month I was this close (hands inches apart) to purchasing a Samsung HLN567W at about $4000. I feel just as David does, that better iterations of DLP's, LCD's and LcOS displays are just around the corner, but I can have a superb picture today for about half the cost of current alternate technologies of the same size by going with a good CRT RPTV.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I think the main flaw with a LCD TV other than black levels is the dead pixel problem.

The Sony GWIII has been gaining many fans this past 2 weeks but will dead pixels be a problem for even the newest Sony LCD tv.

DLP seems to be the best at this point but it has its problems too. Price being one of them. Sammy's aren't cheap.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Once you accept that each format (and set) comes with it's own set of compromises, I think DLP is ahead of LCD in PQ when both are set up correctly. I returned the 50" Panny and got a 46" Sammy DLP. Others have done just the opposite. YMMV...

Jim_P

Stunt Coordinator
You should also consider how you are going to use the TV and your budget.

Granted CRTs are a mature technology, but if you have a widescreen model and play a lot of 4:3 programming, you run the risk of burnin of the CRTs. Stretch modes, for me, still look like a distorted picture.

There are a lot of pros and cons to DLPs vs LCDs.Some people have trouble with seeing rainbows, others don't.

LCDs are available from Panasonic, Hitachi and Sony. You'll hear varying opinions as to which of these perform the best. (did I mention, very heated discussions). LCDs were known for having blacks that were not very black. I think this issue has been somewhat mitigated with the current sets. The Sony GWIII (not the GWII, last year's model) has pretty good out of the box picture quality. You might want to take a look at those.

In any event, you have a lot of choices. But as I said in the beginning, a lot has to do with how you intend to use it and your budget.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Where does LCoS (liquid crystal on silicon) fit into this discussion?

I'm into my third year owning a 16x9 CRT-based RPTV, and hope that these digital technologies mature by the time I am ready for a replacement in a few years. I really look forward to the day I no longer need to be concerned about burn-in, convergence and geometry issues.

Kevin Brennan

Auditioning
Does anyone know of a link that explains these three technologies - LCD DLP and CRT...and any furture technologies. Thanks.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
Since we're likely to move several hundred miles in June/July 2004, I am thinking of selling my CRT-based rear projection set instead of subjecting it to the bumps of a truck ride.

I am hoping the DLP sets have matured a little already by then...

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Rainbows, occasional headaches within a select group of unlucky individuals, and dithering are the three greatest detractors of the DLP displays.
Can you explain what dithering means? I looked up the word but want to make sure I am on the same page as you.

Dead pixels should be a major concern for any LCD owner, Toms Hardware did reviews of LCD PC monitors and encountered tremendous differences with warranty repair for dead pixels and many required 5 or more dead pixels before replacement, and I know one dead pixel on a TV would drive me nuts. Any one know how easy it is for replacement of LCD TV's?

ChrisWhalen

Auditioning
My first post! Yeah.

Anyway, Dell makes a projector that has DLP for around $1700. It sounds like a pretty good all-around projector

I tried to put a link in the message. Hopefully it takes.

Good luck

Note: it wouldn't let me put the path in. I'm too new. But take a look at that projector.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
I have heard that Sony requires 20 dead pixels to warrant repair work under warranty, but that was on one of their first largescreen LCD displays. The number of dead pixels necessary may be less with newer version of their displays.
Regarding dithering:
Dithering is a digitization process allowing DMD chips to display smoother images with more 'solid' colors.
Basically, an individual DLP mirror tilts at varying speeds to produce varying colors and shades on the screen. The color wheel, only having the 3 primary colors cannot provide different shades of colors, and so varying the speed at which the mirrors tilt provides the different shades of colors our eyes perceive. It is a way of tricking our minds into seeing solid, smooth colors, when in reality the colors are not solid or very smooth. On certain color patterns and different speeds of action on screen, this dithering process is more noticible.
At least that's my understanding of it. :)

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I have a required throw distance of 227 inches want a screen between 96" and 110". (16:9 ratio). Viewing distance is approx 170 inches at headrest. What do you reccomend for optimum picture quality, I also would like something with internal line doubling and HDTV capable. One more question, I read on most dvd's that they are enhanced for 16:9 tv's but on the Star Wars DVD's they are enhanced for 1:85:1 displays. Will this properly display on a 16:9 screen, What will the effect be? Is there a good DLP projector in my price range, I know they are supposed to be better because there is less of a screen door effect but somtimes they have a rainbow effect, is this true?

Chris

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
227" (19 feet) will take a long throw projector to get the kind of screen sizes you are looking at. A projector like mine for instance would produce a larger screen size from that mounting location because it is a short throw projector.

The perfect projector for you may likely be the new Sony HS20. It is a long throw LCD projector with a native 16x9 aspect ratio, a resolution of 1366x768, micro lens array which reduces the visibility of the pixels, and it had a very decent contrast ratio and brightness level as well. HDef will do it justice as it did on its predecessot, the Sony HS10. I would put the HS20 up with any dlp, most of which are 1280x720 when it comes to the screen door effect. It will not be noticeable at all from the seating location, one of the definite advantages of an WXGA class projector, especially one with MLA.

Star Wars will display in its proper 2.35:1 ratio on a 16x9 setup, much the same way as it would on any widescreen TV.

DLP's in your pricerange are mostly limited to XGA (1024x768). The Optomoa H76 is around $4000+ I believe but it would be one that I would recommend if the budget was larger. The Sony unit though is more projector for the money.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
First off you want to start looking at long throw projector and then decide it you want a 16:9 native format or 4:3. Did you look at projectorcentral yet?

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
I think the HS20 is about the only thing in that price range with that kind of throw, but I could be wrong. ProjectorCentral's search feature I htink now lets you search by throw distance...

RG

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator
Even after a few months here, I'm still a newbie. Can someone please list some pros and cons of DLP front projectors vs. LCD FP's?

I would really like to have a well informed mind when I make my choice. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks