What's new

DLP vs. LCD - The Discussion Thread that Combines Them ALL (1 Viewer)

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
CoryT, I just purchased 2 of the Infocus LP350's for work. Of course, the first thing I did was bring one home to play with. Now I don't know what the 340B looks like, but these 350's are nice. Same specs as the 340B, but stepping up to XGA. From my sony dvd, using just composite video(bnc cable with RCA connectors), the picture was sharp and detailed. I was seated about 12' from the screen, projection distance of about 14', screen size of about 60" diag.
Only problem is the 350 is at least about a grand more than the 340B, which may be more than you want to spend.

CoryT

Auditioning
Kevin,
You are right about the LP350 it is almost 2 G's more than the LP340. I have a budget of around 8 grand for my hole system, I"m not sure if I can commit that much to my projector. I still need to get a screen, reciver, and speakers. That is the main reason I was leaning towards the LP340. I keep telling myself this is an entry level system but I don't want it to be crap!!!
I'm going to bring a LP340 next week to see how it looks. I will report back then.
Thanks

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Are there any RPTV's out there that use DLP or LCD for their projection? I have been reading a few posts about screen burn-in and, I know I am probably over reacting, but I just wanted to price/compare them if they are out there.

Any input appreciated.

Jason Sweet

Stunt Coordinator
Samsung has a 40" widescreen. I have the older model, and it has a wonderful picture, the best of any RPTV I've seen. It runs about 2000-2400 for the newer models.

Just make sure you use a surge protector, I had a power surge that blew my LCD out, now i ahve to by a new set. An ufortunate and easily avoidable situation. Oh well, live and learn.

Im no expert it TV by any means, but I was at the Good Guys in my area (the one at the Beverly Connection in Los Angeles) and they had Mitsubishi 6500(?) in the main showroom. Its a DLP TV and the picture was amazing. The only problem is that it retails for $14,999.

Scott Tighe

Auditioning
I currently have a DLP projector and, as is always the case, am looking for a change. When I called the Projector People they actually told me that LCD would show better detail than DLP. For instance, on a DLP the sky would show blue, but with LCD you would actually see the clouds in more detail. I then inquired about the "missing pixels" that I have heard are "inherent" in most LCDs. They told me that there are usually missing pixels, but are really only noticable when you have only one solid color on the screen. If this is the case, then it appears that it is really more "hype" that is driving the DLP market.

Please give me any comparisons that any of you may have had regarding LCD vs DLP. What should I go with?

Thanks.

Some key differences:

DLP has a higher "fill factor" than LCD. This refers to the amount of blank space between each projected pixel. Good LCD's have a fill factor of 60%, DLP's more like 80-90%. The fill factor is responsible for the much discussed "screen door" effect. The higher the fill factor, the less screen door.

DLP is reflective, LCD is transmissive. DLP's have higher contrast ratios. Since the LCD panels must turn completely opaque to block the light, and they can't, some light leaks through and causes "grey" blacks. DLP's deflect the light when off, this is better at producing deep blacks, but still not as good as CRT's.

The level of detail is more a function of the internal scaler/deinterlacer and input source. Some projectors have lousy internal scalers while others have very good ones. The best, sharpest picture is obtained when you match the source to the native projector resolution using a scaler or HTPC. The level of detail should be similar for projectors with the same resolution, moving to a higher resolution (say 800 x 600 to 1024 x768) can result in more detail by using more pixels.

With similar wattage lamps LCD's generally produce more lumens on the screen.

The color wheel in single chip LCD's can produce the "rainbow" effect for some people (caused by the "strobing" effect of sequentially projecting each color through the wheel). Newer projectors with faster wheels and mulitple color segments are less prone to this. Most people do not exeprience this effect. But you should try before you buy.

Many of the top rated HT projectors are DLP ie. Sharp 9000, Plus Piano, Marantz.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I have heard that direct view sets with a LCD display have less of a problem with burn in. I have also heard that RPTV with DLP or LCD have less of a problem with burn in. Is this true? If so can someone suggest some models both direct view and RPTV that have these displays for $2000.00 or under?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
LCD and DLP are not totally immune from uneven screen (display element) wear from large amounts of viewing of material with a different aspect ratio. But unlike for CRT screens, intermittently watching a reasonable amount of full screen material will improve things as far as forestalling screen wear problems.
There are no large screen direct view sets of this type for under USD $2000. That amount of money may get a 20 inch LCD which is meant for a computer display. Bigger direct view digital displays are plasma as opposed to LCD, they cost well over $5000., and are just as sensitive to uneven screen wear as CRT.
There have been a few RPTV style LCD and DLP sets but also not cheap. Their major disadvantage is not too black blacks. CUrrently available is the 60 inch Sony Grand Wega, costing about $7000. This type of set also requires a projection lamp like FPTV's do and the lamps generally cost $300. and up and last for around 2000 hours, more if you don't turn the set on and off for short intervals.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Don't forget that with the DLPs and LCDs there is sometimes the issue of dead pixels ... which are not covered by warranty unless you have a lot of them. (literally 100's)

The Sony bulb for the grand wega is rated for 5000 hours.

Regards

ThomasMartin

Auditioning
I am currently looking to purchase a projector in the $5000 price range and have been getting conflicting information regarding whether I should be looking at an "upper end" LCD or a "lower end" DLP. I was heading toward DLP but it seems as though that might not be the best way to go. I understand the issues of screen door effect vs. rainbow effect but have been told that there are LCDs in this price range that will not have the screen door effect (i.e. the Sanyo PLV 70) while $5000 DLPs are are not that great. The two most important aspects of a picture to me are sharpness and proper color. Can anyone help point me in the right direction and also give me some pointers on what are the pitfalls to watch for? I should mention this projector will be used in a darkened 14x11 room with a 92" screen and used primarily to view movies and broadcast sports. Thanks in advance.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
The PLV70 still has a fill ratio of about 85% or so, while single chip DLP's are 88%. So a DLP will still have a bit less of a screendoor than the PLV-70. This being said, the vast majority of people (though not all) cannot see the screendoor on an MLA equipped 1366x768 native LCD projector from more than about 1 screen width back. So if you plan to sit within 6.5 feet of your 92" screen, don't get an LCD.

In terms of colors, LCD's will give you better colors. At $5k, LCD's will DEFINITELY give you better colors, especially the reds and to a slightly lesser degree, the greens.

In terms of sharpness (up to point of lack of EE), they should be very similar. However, if you're talking about that illusive "filmlike" quality, DLP's give you a softer, more filmlike picture in most cases.

ThomasMartin

Auditioning
Gabriel...thanks for the great input...looking for as much advice as possible...I just cant believe I'm going to spend 5K on a projector "sight unseen" and as a result I need all the help I can get!

ThomasMartin

Auditioning
Also...in looking at the specs (really all I have to go by other then the advice I receive) the Sanyo is rated at 2200 lumens and has a great reslution when compared with the DLP recommended to me (the Infocus LS-110). It seems like the picture would be much better (brighter, sharper) with that higher lumen and resolution rating...or am I putting too much stock in those numbers?

ThomasMartin

Auditioning
"sight unseen...scary words"

Tell me about it...how do you make a proper decision when these things arent displayed anywhere around here?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks