Dlp vs CRT

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AlClarkJr, Sep 28, 2004.

1. AlClarkJr

AlClarkJr Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone, I would really like to get some honest opinions. I'm looking at buying a new TV But my problem is I don't know if I want go with a DLP (cost) or stick with a good CRT (very intersted in the Hitachi 65S500). I would like a 65" CRT, Price is always a factor. But really picture quality is really what counts. Please give me the pros and cons if some of you have had the experience of owning both. Thanks

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What is your viewing like?

If you don't need it for a lot of TV and videogames (in which burn-in on CRT might be a consideration), then CRT is the better display, at a better price, at this point. Just keep in mind that you will want to keep convergence tweaked from time to time with a CRT, but if you are honest about the video quality being the most important characteristic, then CRT is still the route to go here. My experience stems less specifically from RPTVs, but from extensive FP comparisons of the best these technologies have to offer, but it's still projection with RPTVs, just on a smaller size.

3. AlClarkJr

AlClarkJr Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Chris, I think I will go for the Hitachi 65S500!

4. RichG

RichG Agent

You might want to consider a step up to the 65X500 if you have the extra $$. I have the 57X500 and love it.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey chris -

forgive me if i'm mis-understanding you. are you saying, for the price that the crt is better, or that the crt is better at any price?

for me, if price wasn't a consideration, i'd go with a dlp any day of the week. brighter, sharper, better side viewing, etc...

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

CRT is still my reference. Ironically, it is CHEAPER than most comparable digital RPTVs. So with price completely out of the picture (price no object), CRT projection is my reference. With price entering the picture, CRT is a much better value, and provides a better picture at that price.

This ignores all considerations other than PQ, and PQ emphasis from my perspective is fairly picky, and of course still subjective.

Again, however, my experience is *mainly* with high end FP versions of these technologies. But having spent time with RPTVs as well, the similarities in comparison are pretty strong, not to mention the method of producing the picture is the same, just folded with a mirror.