DLP-v-D-I-LA,...JVC/Mitsubishi/Samsung

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jimmy Reece, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Jimmy Reece

Jimmy Reece Auditioning

I am currently putting together a second Home Theater in my home and am contemplating 3 monitors: Samsung's 61" DLP...Mitsubishi's 60+" DLP...and...the new JVC 61" HD-I-LA. Any suggestions or comments concerning the 2 formats (DLP and HD-I-LA) and/or the 3 seta that I am contemplating??? HELP!!! Thansk very much; your input is greatly recieved and appreciated as always. Jimmy

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

You really have to see them for yourself. All 3 are great sets. Let your own eyes decide.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

One thing I like about the JVC implementation of LCOS (they call it HD-ILA but it's still LCOS) is that they use a 3 chip system (one red, one green, one blue) instead of spinning color wheels or prisms. This eliminates the posibility of rainbows and seems like an overall better solution to me, especially since 3 chip DLP is still insanely expensive. Regardless of the theoretical advantages you still need to compare and see which set looks the best to you.

4. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

The JVC looks fantastic on HD, but like I have posted before, for some reason (still unknown to me) I found it to look unimpressive on DVD (unfortunately only tried cheap DVD players, ie sony 575, pioneer 578, panasonic s27, etc). It was suggested that it might look much better on a DVD player that performs it's own pixel mapping.

5. Jimmy Reece

Jimmy Reece Auditioning

Thanx...you guys are very informative and it's always good to get other knowledgeable perspectives before laying out the dough...haha. Does anyone believe that some of the A/V stores purposely give one set over another an actual better connection to enhance the performance and push one particular brand or item??? Just curious. I have suspected this since seeing a really great Samsung 61" DLP picture, then suddenly upon returning, the Sony next to it is magnificent now and the Sam is marginal. In fact every Sony in the place is sharp and all Sam's are weaker. Very curious Thanx again to all respondents! Jimmy

6. WilliamPC

WilliamPC Agent

I have always suspected Fry's of doing this. Same units you just mentioned. The also seemed to make Mitsubishi sets look terrible too....if they were next to a Sony.

Hmmm.

7. Jimmy Reece

Jimmy Reece Auditioning

Exactly...where does a man go to see equal connections?!?[​IMG]

8. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Can we get 1 to 1 pixel mapping if we use a Radeon with DVI output from a PC?

Is a PC the best route to play DVDs back through any of those sets? Or should we get a separate DVD player?

[/THREAD:HIJACK]

Thanks,
    ELmO[​IMG]