DLP - Upcoming

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chris Dugger, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Just got a new list of upcoming DLP release...

This is by and far incomplete.. but will give you guys who give a damn something to look forward too!

Matchstick Men
    Once Upon A Time In Mexico
    Brother Bear
    Alien
    Master and Commander
    Haunted Mansion
    Looney Tunes: Back In Action
    Last Samuri

This is it for now... No Lord Of The Rings and No Matrix: Rev.

Dugger

2. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    You know, it's funny....my colleague at work (I work for a Home Theater company in Annapolis, MD) tells me that DLP releases in theaters is nothing more than 1080-HD. Picture perfect look, but how can that possibly compare to FILM? I guess it wouldn't matter for a movie like Episode II where there is only so much resolution because it was recorded digitally, but I'd rather be watching film for other releases.

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I wish we still had DLP in Las Vegas. I'd love to see Once Upon a Time In Mexico and Alien in DLP.

And who cares if Matrix Revolutions is in DLP? It'll be in IMAX. [​IMG]

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I read an article recently (I'll attempt to find it and post) that stated that DLP is not happening as hoped. Two major companies aligned in the effort have split. The original intention was to have theatres receive data from satelite and internet access but that isn't occuring at the moment. The expense of equipment and need to send theatres hard copies of the films is prohibitive. Alas, although resolution is pretty good, it "ain't film quality".

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

6. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    You might be right about the 1920. I could have mistaken what he was saying because he did mention that number. I assumed he was talking about 1920 x 1080, which is where I got my 1080 from. That being said, I wonder what resolution the movie is stored in when it gets to the theater? We get 720 x 480, but what do theaters get?

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Whether it's "As good" or better, isn't really the point.. our AMC people here local have said they are trying to plan an agressive DLP rollout.. primarily because it would staggeringly lower their film distribution costs to their theaters.

8. Michael St. Clair

Most home 'HD' is 1920x1080i, but most HDTVs only resolve about 50-60% of that.

Theater DLP is 1920x1080p, and the bitrate is WAY higher.

A very expensive home setup that does 3:2 pulldown on 1080i sources and resolves the full 1920x1080 resolution may approach the theater DLP picture, but it will never match it.

And properly projected film does have more detail than the (current) theatrical DLP.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

True.. but the concept of "On Demand" style showings is really appealing to execs.. this is what AMD forsees:

Showing of movie A is packed, in four screens.. showing of movie C has no or low attendence.. BAM.. movie A suddenly easily expands to new screens to fulfill demand [​IMG]

There was an article about this concept recently [​IMG] I don't know about all chains, but I know AMC is big in their support of DLP, saying they hope to add another theater and several more screens locally in the next year.

11. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    But you can add a screen right now via a process known as "interlocking" with 35mm film. All it requires is a couple of extra rollers and a qualified projectionist.

12. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Actually, that's what makes it enticing to distributors. They save on distribution costs by not having to ship thousands of pounds of film cans all over the country.

The high costs of projectors is what's keeping the theaters from upgrading. It's been a tug of war between distributors and exhibitors with theaters basically saying, "why should we shoulder this huge cost burden to save you money?" Theaters have been asking for some more incentive (read, money) to upgrade their projectors. Unless they get a better share of ticket sales (likely, but the bickering over percentages will take some time) DLP as a mainstream technology will be a while off.

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Exactly. What's in DLP for theater owners? It's got some gimmick appeal for the audience that equates "digital" with "better", but I don't think you'll really see theater start seriously consider upgrading in large numbers unless Lucas holds firm on only screens with digital projection getting Episode 3 (if he's even on the record with that). I remember theaters in South Portland, ME, upgrading to DTS to make sure they got Jurassic Park and their competitors didn't, but I don't know that theater owners will install DLP to get the next Star Wars.

14. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    There's a huge cost difference between upgrading to DTS and a DLP projector.

I also think that McCallum has gone on record that they hope to have several hundred DLP theaters in time for Episode III, but not a full conversion as that's just too much to ask.

15. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

Jason:

I saw AOTC in DLP and regular film. The DLP presentation was much "better", but I am sure this is due to the fact that Lucas used a digital camera to shoot with.

If more filmmakers start to use digital cameras, I would think that DLP projection would become more profitable.

16. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

17. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

18. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    But wasn't interlocking more privvy to film breaks? Especially if run through more than two projectors?

19. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Sure, if it's being done by inexperienced people. I wouldn't trust a newcomer to do it on a Saturday night [​IMG] .

20. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Which of those movies were shot digitally?