What's new

DLP the way to go? (1 Viewer)

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
Is DLP the way to go? I have a Tosh rear projection set{calibrated}. I have yet to find a plasma or LCD that looks better. I am considering up grading to a DLP. It is the same technology used in digital projection in theaters. I know you can't really judge fully in a store, but the DLP's always look better than the rest , and I assume they are all"out of the box".

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
It's all a matter of personal preference. As it stands today, each of the major technologies -- CRT, DLP, Plasma, LCD -- has its ups and downs.

Regardless of technology I would suggest watching the model you are thinking of buying for a prolonged period of time, preferably at least half an hour at a stretch, even if you look silly standing in one place on the showroom floor.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I would suggest doing a lot of research on the different formats and after making some preliminary decisions start searching forums for threads on the same or similar models. This will enable you to ask specific questions about the type of set you may be thinking about.

Important factors to consider are your seating distance, seating angles, room lighting and lighting control, source video (HD, SD, SAT, Cable, Digital Cable, VCR, DVD, Games and game video formats) as these determine what kind of set may or may not work for you.

Then you can explore sizes, brands, known problems, potential problems, service and maintenance costs, etc.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
One word: SXRD.

Blows away ALL other rear-projection tech, even most plasma.
Smooth, pure whites & blacks. Top resolution, fairly wide angle viewing.

BTW: I find Sony's LCD models better than DLP. Most showroom DLP have their contrast set to 90% plus.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
dlp is not "the way to go" regardless of whether it's the same technology used in most digital cinemas. That doesn't have a significant bearing on consumer displays, and some of the strengths and weaknesses that DLP has compared to other digital displays or to CRTs. DLPs can look great, but so too can the other technologies, and quite frankly CRT is still my reference, and among the digital technologies I personally prefer LCOS-based displays over DLP or LCD displays, especially when talking about single-chip DLP because rainbows bother and fatigue me on single-chip DLP displays.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

concurrent postings, but even as I agree in preferring the LCOS displays (SXRD is lcos) among digital displays, I certainly would not in any way characterize those displays as "blowing away" other displays. In fact, a high-end CRT display is still superior overall for the most critical viewing. Statements like "pure whites and blacks" are meaningless, and LCOS certainly does not have "pure black" if you mean absolute black, a DLP actually may have greater on/off CR which means increased absolute black level capabilities for the same lumen output, and even then this is still significantly behind CRT in on/off CR capability. As for alluding that plasma is better than projection displays, I beg to differ, plasmas are pretty mediocre in absolute comparison, and especially in relative comparison when you consider the cost ratios.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, saying SXRD is LCoS is like saying both the F-106 and F-22 are both jet fighters. Huge difference in performance.

It's not hyperbole to say the SXRD black is close to pure. I've certainly seen plenty of CRTs that don't reach anywhere the black performance. I realize you mean high end CRT, but that market is vanishing faster than XBOX 360s! :D

(This is coming from someone who owns the Sony KD-34XBR960 for a bedroom set BTW).

I have yet to see a DLP with better blacks as well. Not without crushing everything either.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
no, saying SXRD is LCOS is a fact. That's what it is, a reflective silicon device generically named Liquid Crysal On Silicon. SXRD is Sony's "version" of LCOS technology, JVC has DILA, which is also LCOS. There is nothing belittling about either of these statments.

Yes I do mean high end CRT, and I mean high end LCOS as well. I do stand corrected, I was not aware that sony was shipping RP LCOS displays with a dynamic iris, if you are talking about such a display than indeed the expanded on/off CR range would exceed the native on/off range of a DLP not equipped with a dynamic iris. Still not as high an on/off CR capability as a CRT, however it may retain black details better because of superior ANSI contrast compared to a CRT. Without the assitance of a dynamic iris, a DLP can have higher on/off capability. I am a big fan of the improvements of a dynamic iris since I am quite adamant about on/off CR capability, so I'm not at all demeaning sony's use of DI, it is hugely effective and TI would be smart to catch up in that department, or at least encourage its OEMs to do so.

And you should not think that I am criticizing LCOS displays by any means. Previously, I preferred the Qualia and JVC HD2K (both 1080p LCOS machines) with something like 3K:1 on/off CR over 1 and 3-chip DLPs with much higher on/off capabilities among digital projectors. In case you're curious, I subjectively preferred the JVC for viewing experience, while for critical content examination I prefered the Qualia because of faster panel response and higher ANSI contrast which brought out too much temporal source noise in my opinion, but was technically more accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks