What's new

DLP Technology (1 Viewer)

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
I have been reading about DLP rptv technology. And what I have read says the TV life span is about 100,000 hrs. The only ones I have seen are from samsung and look outstanding :D. Can anyone give me there views or information about what they know about these TV's. Because at 3499.00 ( the cheapest I have found)for a 50" samsung is alot of convincing to the wife :b.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone own a DLP or Samsung DLP at all? And could give some advice or shed some kind of light?

Phil L

Supporting Actor
If they work out the black level and screen door problems DLP will be the way of the future.

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Sean!! I am also headed to CES (Consumer Electronics Show) :D this weekend so I hope I can get some questions asked. So if anyone has questions they want asked let me know, I will write em down and ask and then repost the answers.:star:

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend that has the 50" Samsung and it does look fantistic. DLP is great since there is no burn in, but I did see the occasional rainbow from the colorwheel. It wasn't distracting to me at all.

I read a brief article about LCos TVs, look for those at CES. I think they imho may even beat DLP tvs, but the proof as they say is in the eating...

Have fun - wish I could go.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I got the Samsung HLM5065W a few weeks ago and I love it. I was hooked on the picture the minute I saw in the showroom and just had to have it. Got it for $3600 and worth every penny. :emoji_thumbsup: If you have any questions I'll be happy to try to answer them.

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
I own a DLP front projector and happen to think it's the best of all the digital formats.
Black levels are excellent, and screendoor is a non-issue (with at least XGA resolution and higher).

Rainbows are the major issue with DLP's because of the color wheel, some are more sensitive than others, but you can adapt to them after the first few days of ownership.

The DLP mirror structure may last 100,000 hours but the bulb will still need to be replaced periodically!

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
Question for David. How does regular cable look on this unit?

-Vic

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
VicQ, unfortunately I can't directly comment on cable connection since I don't have cable, and use it only for watching DVD's, with which it handles exemplary. However, I was at the showroom when another person asked to see a cable connection on it which the salesman grudingly obliged, and to be honest it didn't look too hot. Fairly grainy, but had nice color rendition. Of course we were all used to looking at the looping HDTV feed they had going through all the other projection sets on display, so it was hard to compare the cable signal since it wasn't running through any other set either. I would also imagine the signal would be split multiple times causing more degradation and I didn't know the quality of the original signal.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
DLP Technology is pretty sweet but I heard that the new LCOS technology is supposed to be the cream of the crop. I was going to upgrade my hdtv but decided to hold off for awhile to wait for the LCOS technology to get better and cheaper.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff.

The LCoS tech has the current highest resolution, but it isn't implemented into anything except the new Toshiba RPTV. The set is very unimpressive. I would get a DLP HD2 based projector over the Toshiba any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks