What's new

DLP Screen = tensioned or not (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I am buying a 6'X 8' Dalite screen for my NEC LT260 DLP projector (2100 lumens 800/1 contrast)

My question is, should I get tensioned or not? There is about a $1000 difference in price.

I will be viewing only at night and the screen is elevated about 4' off the ground. (Yes, I have 14' ceiling) Mostly because of 'little hands' below 4' tall.

The screen is in my living room, so it'd be nice to tuck it away during the daytime.

There is little to no foot traffic during a show.

What advantage does tensioned bring?? Is it anything I need to be worried about enough to spend $1000 on?

Thanks for your advice

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Not to get things too far off topic but how are you coping with the 14' ceiling, ceiling mounting your projector, and taking into account the keystoning? (I have 12' ceilings but have not set up the new room yet) I assume you are not using an 8' extension pole for your projector to mount off of for example. BTW, I am using a fixed screen in my setup.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Oh, and to answer part of your question... non-tensioned screens can develop waves/ripples on their surface which is noticeable and distracting when viewed from a wide angle (near the side of the room). Tensioned screen fix this and can be retractable at the same time to get away from those little fingers :) My sons used pen (ink) on my previous 84" pulldown.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thos ripples, do they develop as the screen ages, or on day one? Are they noticeable from the front or only the sides? Horizontal or vertical? Paper or plastic? (heh)

I'm really leaning toward retractable for the spouse-factor. I just can't afford tensioned (read-she won't let me spend that) She has allowed fixed-screen, but would be happier with retractable so long as the picture does not suffer too much.

re: 14' ceiling, it is vaulted. I have the screen off-center, so the projector is mounted at about the 12' level (or will be once I get the screen, right now I have a temporary set-up projecting on the wall - yuk!)

With the screen 4' off the ground, the top is 10'. That means I only drop the projector 2' 4". Not too shabby. I wish I could find a retractable projector mount. I found only one that you have to cut a 2' box into the ceiling and spend $1000!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would go for a fixed screen rather than a retractable non-tensioned screen. The waves usually are vertical and it may not necessarily be that noticeable from the front but the more you move to the side is the more you can see the obvious distortion in the picture as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks