DLP Screen Door - What Distances?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryant Trew, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

Respectively for a SVGA, XGA and WXGA, at what seating distance is screen door viewable on a 100" projected image?

2. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Unlike LCD, screen door is not really a problem on DLP projectors. The pixel grid on the screen created by the tiny DLP mirrors do not have that pronounced dark square found around each LCD pixel that attributes to screen door effect.

I would say it depends on the screen size as well as the DLP array size and distance. For my XGA DLP I cannot see screen door (ie pixels) at 8feet on a 80"wide screen. They are noticable at 3-4 feet away.

You probably can get by with SVGA DLP for DVD but for HDTV I would recommend XGA or WXGA (if you can afford it). Some of the better HD movies I have seen on HBO-HD are absolutely stunning on the LT150 (XGA DLP). Gladiator was superb rendering the DVD to near laser disc quality in comparison.

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

However, the rainbow effect is visible no matter what distance you are viewing from. I notice it all the time. Others don't seem to notice it as much.

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

I do see rainbows and notice them occasionally. But I would not give up the fantastic picture and portability of the little NEC for the price.