DLP - Samsung vs Toshiba

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott Andrew, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Scott Andrew

Scott Andrew Stunt Coordinator

Ok so I just purchased a 50" Hitachi Rear Projection LCD, but now I am thinking of taking it back to get a DLP. I would be getting either the 50" Samsung HLR5067W or the 52" Toshiba 52HM95. Anyone have any opinions on these two DLP's? Or should I just keep my rear projection LCD?

2. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

looking at the same toshiba. havent seen much on them.

3. Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor Supporting Actor

Not familiar with either particular model - but my personal opinion is DLP technology is better than LCD and also from personal experience Toshiba products are better than Samsung - I know that's a wayyyy general answer but just my $.02 worth - soooooo go for the Toshiba DLP....

4. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

i have heard of a lot of lamp issues with toshiba; less so with samsung. whats up with that?

5. NateS

NateS Agent

I've got a simlir version to the Tosh your looking at, the 56HM195, their 1080p DLP model. Had it for 2 months now, no problems whatsoever. Really enjoy the picture I get out of it. The NFL is killer on the set...

6. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

You could swap it for the Sony KDFE50A10.

MUCH more accurate color and sharper resolution than either DLP models mentioned here. Standard TV looks decent (and MUCH better than the DLPs) as well.

Another thing in the Sony's favor is its superior 1080i downconversion: fewer artifacts than the competition.

Screen door effect is minimal to non-existant at proper viewing distance. Black level is decent. You don't have to turn up the contrast to an ungodly 90%+ like on the DLP sets.

Or...you could upgrade to the SXRD model which just buries all competition hands down [​IMG]

7. Scott Andrew

Funny you should say that I should swap for the KDFE50A10. After talking to a few people I decided not to go with DLP as per some of the above issues and risk of the rainbow effect. What I ended up doing was going and buying the KDFE50A10 and setting it up right beside the Hitachi 50" Rear Projection LCD, and I can honestly say the Hitachi looked better, even after complete calibration. Out of the 10 people that I had watch the sets individually, 8 of them chose the Hitachi. And the Hitachi looks much better esthetically beside my B&W's anyway... So I am sticking with the Hitachi

Thanks guys

[​IMG]

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Scott:

If I hadn't bought my Mits RPTV I would have picked up the Hitachi. I think the picture on them is really nice.

It really looks good between your B&Ws.

Parker

9. brandon_

brandon_ Agent

whats the model number on that hitachi?

10. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

"Or...you could upgrade to the SXRD model which just buries all competition hands down"

That is definetely the case, I spent almost a half hour Wed. looking at a Samsung 56" 1080p right next to a Sony SXRD set and the Sony was much better. About 400 bucks more but definetely worth it.

MikeS.

11. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Scott, what's the model number and price on the Hitachi? Is it the 50VG825? My folks have the 60" version of that and the picture is incredible. But the prices seem upwards of $500 fom what I'm looking at for the Sony.

12. Scott Andrew

it's actually just the 50V525, (the 50V500 replacement) and the price was $2500 Canadian

13. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Scott,

I have the same B&Ws fronts and Center with my Sony 57" RPTV.
    I did notice that your B&Ws are right next to the TV. What I read from the specs, fronts are not magnetically Sheilded.

Is LCD TVs free of gauze effect due to unsheilded speakers?

Kumar.

14. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

CRTs of any kind are magnetic by nature and would be subject to interference that LCDs are not. It should not be a problem.

15. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

mmmmm..... Homey! I think we can buy a LCD TV and put our speakers close to the TV and free up some space in the living room!

just kidding!

Thanks Peter.

16. Scott Andrew

As Peter said, and what the Hitachi rep told me was the LCD is not subject to interference in regards to a magnetic field