DLP RPTV w/ LED light source -- worth the price?

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I'm a definite newbie to HDTV, so I need some advice. I'm planning to upgrade from my 32" Sony Vega CRT to some kind of HDTV after the end of the year. I've been checking out what's available and am leaning toward getting a rear-projection DLP set (I prefer something that can be moved fairly easily -- no mounting, etc). A friend of mine tells me I should look into the new 56" 1080p Samsung HL-S5679W because it has an LED light source instead of the standard lamp and color wheel combo in most DLP sets. He says he's read that this will give you better picture quality and will require fewer repairs.

Well, this sounds all fine and everything but I can't find any reviews for the set (which is, apparently, the only one out so far that has the LED light) and it's going for an average of $1,000-$1,500 more than Samsung's regular lamp & color-wheel 56" 1080p set (HL-S5687W). The price isn't a big concern but I'd like to get some other, shall we say "more informed" opinions before I drop the extra green on what seems to be an unproven technology.

Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks!

Kenneth English

Second Unit
That's what I was afraid of. Best Buy lists the set on its website (for $3,999) but I haven't been able to find a B&M store that has one you can actually look at.

Anyway, the regular DLP sets already look amazing to my eyes so I can't see how they could be improved much more. After watching nothing but standard definition CRT TV forever, HDTV is a revelation and, frankly, kind of intimidating. There's so much more you need to know and understand. This isn't a bad thing exactly, just...scary.

Now that I've got the jones for a widescreen HDTV, the only real trouble I'm having is making myself wait until after Christmas. I want one NOOOOOWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo