DLP Rear Projectors are no joke

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mando-R, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Mando-R

Mando-R Stunt Coordinator

We just got the DLP Samsung projection tv's at Circuit City. I don't notice any rainbow effect. The image quality on this tv is AMAZING. Our floor is full of light and moving reflections and even during the day, the image quality of this tv is comparable to that of CRT High Definition Tv's. I want one of these soooo bad :drool:

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greeting

Consider yourself lucky about the rainbows. How often you see them has a lot to do with the material you play on them.

Regards

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

what exactly is the rainbow effect?

4. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

has to do with the color wheel of a single chip dlp projector...

basically, a dlp is made up of lots of itsy bitsy iiny tiny polka dot bikinis...no actualy they are tiny tiny mirrors...

these little mirrors reflect light through a color wheel that spins really really fast to create an optical illusion to make your eye see different colors...basically blending them...

however, on some material and with some people, when there are movements, they can see a rainbow of colors very briefly, to some of those people it can cause naseau or headaches...where this is most prevalent is with slower wheels (1x and 2x) and where light and dark clash...with faster wheels 4x and 5x there are very few people that experience this...

here is a link with an explanation for ya.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-7-2003.html

5. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

I have a Samsung HLN4365W and I see the rainbow effect ALL the time.[​IMG] Especially when it's a dark scene with a few spots of light. But the rainbows don't bother me as much as the internal reflections, but that's another story...
    If you can't see rainbows, consider yourself lucky and save your pennies to buy one. High-definition material looks simply amazing on these sets!

6. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I talked to my local dealer and he told me the Samsung DLP's are backordered with Samsung. I guess Samsung can't keep up with the demand of these popular DLP sets. I must admit, I was in Best Buy today and they do look superb on the showroom floor.[​IMG]