DLP Rear Projection?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul W, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

I read somewhere (in some nameless magazine - I don't even remember which, now) that RPTV DLP sets would be supplanting RPTV CRT sets soon.
    I don't suppose this has started happening yet, has it?
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

2. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Actually it has...if you want to pay about $8,000. Mitsubishi has at least one i've seen in a store flier.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Panasonic has a truly fabulous set; last time I checked the street on it was about $9500. HDTV (1280x720x60p) capable, and excellent brightness, contrast, and off-angle viewing. The one rear-projector I'd ever recommend (but an FP is still better.)
    Sadly, it's street is $9500. Part number is PT52DL10.
    Leo Kerr
    [email protected]

4. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

The MSRP on the Mitsubishi is $15,000! Gary Merson has a review in the March/April Perfect Vision. The review was positive but Merson also made it clear that the technology needs to mature a bit. He ended up characterizing it as a good first effort.
    A number of other manufacturers have DLP or analogous (e.g. D-ILA) RPTVs in the works. And there are the flat panel technologies. Although I expect crts to be supplanted eventually by *something*, it will take a few years.
    ------------------

5. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Whew! Good to know my RPTV investment is safe.
    Now I need to worry about the new and upcoming HDTV standard (IEEE?).
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The Panasonic DLP RPTV mentioned above has a truly awesome picture. I've only seen it in a showroom, but it was miles better than any of the CRT RPTV's there, except for the Pioneer Elite series. It was still better than the Elite, but not by much... EXCEPT that the DLP could be viewed from practically any angle, while the Elite had to be viewed from right in front of it to get the best picture. When these DLP TV's mature and go down in price I have no doubt that CRT's will be obsolete.
    /Mike

7. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I've seen the Panasonic DLP rear projection TV and it was f*&king beautiful. Bright, sharp picture with great off-axis viewing.
    If, no when I win the lotery that will be my first purchase.

8. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    I saw the Mitsubishi 65 inch DLP RPTV in Tokyo yesterday in a hign end display room ant it was impressive.

9. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I was at CES today and saw one from Samsung. There are several companies that are going to produce DLP rear projection televisions in the $3000 range mid-late summer this year. The weight of these televisions are very light too as they are tabletop variety coming between 43" - 50".

I want one!

10. Christian Sonntag

Wow, a price drop from $9,500-15,000 down to $3,000 in few months. I know this type of technology tends to drop quickly, but this is extreme to say the least. Is this really possible? Or is it that the new, lower priced models won't look as good as the current ones? It almost makes me want to hold off on my RPTV purchase.
    Chris

11. MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais Stunt Coordinator

Not to rain on the parade, but if that Samsung is the HLK 506W, it has been "6 months out" since CES in 2000. I was really excited when I saw it too- the first time. It is actually fLCD (ferroelectric LCD), which is a reflective LCD technology. But basically- DisplayTech who makes the engines can't do it, so we wait.. and wait....
    http://www.mdreport.com/archives/flash-1.html
    Now, if they have a new display engine, or DT finally has their act together. . . . I'd love to hear about it!!
    Markd

12. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I have the Samsung brochure and there is nothing about LCD on it. There are no model numbers unfortunately just that there will be a 43 and 50 inch models. It talks about Tantus Optical Engine using DLP. Powered by a 100-watt, high pressure mercury vapor light, an 11-element lens assembly and one postage-stamp-sized DLP panel. Says that it can display close to one million color pixels that are easily viewable across a full 160 degree viewing angle.

I hope this is different from the models that were at CES last year.

13. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I just went to their website. I think the model is a Samsung 50" DLP PJTV. It weighs 88lbs. It says 2nd generation DLP. This is new and not the same as the LCD you were referring too.

Again, its hard to believe it will be under $5000

14. MarkDesMarais

Sounds like they gave up on DT and went to DLP- cool! I will keep my eyes open.

On price- when it comes right down to it, if they can get the volumes up, I'll bet they can sell it for $3k.

I wonder what the color wheel looks like- ie, will it have rainbows?

Markd

Hey, can you post a link to the webpage? I couldn't find any reference to this product on the Samsung site.

Thanks

Markd

15. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Look around at the Samsung CES booth online version - they even have a movie clip about the line. Cool site. [​IMG]
    Looks promising, but of course most likely we'll just see some half-assed POS variant of this here in Europe where HDTV isn't even in its infancy yet. And it will cost twice what it costs in the US. [​IMG]
    I like the design though, especially that it's a desktop model. Gives you lots of options on how to furnish the place.

16. MarkDesMarais

Thanks Kimmo. Yeah, that looks like the skins from the ill-fated HLK family. Too bad they had to drop to XGA resolution, but I'll be watching for this one to come to a store near me. . .

Markd

scratch that- I guess it is a real 16x9 display, 1280x768. So the same res as the fLCD. .