What's new

DLP Rear Projection TV (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I have not seen the (65 inch) Mitsubishi but the chain of stores near where I live that carries them has indicated that to get the best results may require a screen upgrade. From what I understand the color on the pictures tends to be jumpy when one moves their head around. I have only gotten the info from their sales people since I am in the beginning stages of looking around while I contemplate finishing the basement and moving my current set down there.

Raymond G

Agent
The Panasonic is the one I am looking for. I did see the
55" Hitachi and wasn't impressed. It was playing the Matrix
DVD and the picture was very grainy.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The price for what you get is not worth it IMHO.
Get a new 16x9 panel (1.78:1), 720p DLP front projector (with the upcoming "black" DMD chip and re-formatted color wheel from Texas Instruments for improved black level and color fidelity with reduced rainbow artifacts) and a widescreen Stewart GrayHawk screen (depending on projector brightness and light conditions in the room) for less than what I've seen these RPTV's going for and get better picture quality and a bigger image.
Just be sure to wait for DVI and FireWire connector compatible projectors to catch on or you'll probably waste your money.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Raymond G

Agent
Would you be able to set this up and remove it once a year.
The company I work for moves me around at least once a year.
What other equipment would you need to make this work. I
already have a DVD player,a VCR, a stereo system and a
Directv system?

I've had the Panasonic PT-52DL10 for almost a year now, and in general I have been very happy with it.
Strengths:
No burn-in problem
Bright enough for room with windows and full daylight
only 18" deep
very light, easy to move
lots of AV inputs (3x component, 4x s-video/composite inc. one set of AV inputs on front, 1 svga on front)
accepts 720p native
Weaknesses:
Cost (although recently I have seen them new for $7k-$8k, and a floor model for $6k)
True resolution is 1280x720, so 1080i is scaled (but the 1080i pictures are still outstanding)
Black level is a bit weak, especially in a dark room watching dark scenes
SVGA input only takes up to 1024x768, and is really a 800x600 native (1024x768 is scaled down)
not very many on the market, so it is tough to compare notes with other users
I don't use the built-in tuner, so I can't comment on that.
When I decided on this set, plasmas were substantially more expensive than they currently are, and there was no 50" plasma available. If I were looking now, I would be looking closely at the DLP set v. the new Panasonic and Pioneer 50" plasmas, and weighing the trade-off between better black levels and the potential for burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks