DLP rainbows too much, traded for Sony 55"Grand WEGA™ 3LCD

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ToddTH, Jul 25, 2005.

1. ToddTH

ToddTH Auditioning

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience or insight about these sets? Are they difficult to set up out of the box? Will I need calibration from a professional? I exchanged my Samsung DLP the rainbow effect was just to much for me, my wife never say it but I would see it way to much to be happy, and with football coming I couldn't handle it. I am new to all this so thank you for any insights at all.

Todd

2. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I've actually noticed that in a store i went to. I was watching the DLP screen for a college football game and i was explained by the guy who works there that the DLP has more of a rainbow effect than anything. I found it very annoying, i'm sure the tv was setup correctly considering it was a pretty high end system in one of those pricey home theatre stores.

3. ToddTH

ToddTH Auditioning

I agree the rainbow was really annoying. They said that not that many people notice it but the ones that do can get very distracted by it. Of course my wife didn't see it, which made the whole exchange thing a little harder to convince her of. Now I just hope I made the right choice. The Sony 55" Grand Wega widescreen looked good in the store, so hopefully it will do the same in my living room.

4. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

I have a 60"¨ GW II generation model RP LCD.

Some quick tips if this is your first 16:9
    Yes calabration does improve your PQ, but many do not hire it done; if not wishing to spring for a professional visit at min. be sure to calabrate yourself.
    Although I don't know the manual and menu's for your particular model, - Out of the box you should have 4 picture modes: Pro, Film, etc. You can adjust any of these modes from factory, pull your brightness down on all, in case family members rotate through them. Pick the least attractive mode, purchase Avia or VE and calibrate this mode via the disc. Use this mode at all times. Mark the changes you have made for each category in the back of your manual, for tint/brightness etc. If the display is ever unplugged the mode will revert to factory settings.
    For even better results take each mode and calabrate one each for each source you use, (one for STB/cable, one for DVD/ one for OTA etc.)
    For my Sony, Monster Cable (2 sets tried ) gave me blooming reds. For this model display I prefer a different brand.

For everyday viewing and control.
    If any in the family prefer stretching 4:3 into full screen (no pillars or letterbox) be sure when shopping for sources (an STB etc) that you have the capability of changing your resolution via your remote. Otherwise you will end up watching horribly stretched and distorted footage. (For an example see Vince Maskeeper
    post #21 in the "THX needs feedback" thread here in Displays section).
    If you have your STB set to 720p 1080i either of these will lock your display into full screen, if the source is 4:3 with pillars included in the broadcast, you will not be able to option a full screen fill. If the 4:3 is sent non-pillared your screen will "lock" into fullscreen at these resolutions distorting it. In these cases I drop the source STB back down into 480p (the equivalent resolution of a NON up-scaling player DVD progressive player), then I can use the Sony's Zoom's to fill the screen Full screen (if one of the viewers at the time; is insistant that they have to have every inch of the screen filled) and by zooming you can minimize distortion, or have reavailable the option to leave it pillarboxed (via the Sony 4:3) and sized OAR.

I own an older Panasonic RP91 (out of production) partially for its ability to scale on non-anamorphic material when the source is DVD.

This was another reason I purchased the Sony when I did, it had some of the best zoom modes of its peers for the situations above (some displays of its time were sadly subpar in zoom selection).

Do not cycle your Display off and on quicly , hard on the bulb, ..if during your initial setup you accidentally power off, when you power on there can be a delay while the fan is doing its cooling before the unit will bring the bulb back online. You will keep hitting ¡§ON¡¨ thinking nothing is happening (I had to teach my boys this)
    Watch the red light at the bottom of your display if it is blinking it has indeed received your RF "ON" command and is just cycling the bulb. On these sets, the theory is you will extend your bulb's life span by leaving the display on if your gong to be out of the room for 30 mins, rather than cycling it On/Off like a CRT.

Be sure if moving out a 4:3 display from this rack, that you access the setup menu's of your sources and change settings to 16:9 format.
    Find your format (and resolution on sources) button toggle on your remote; it can be your best frend [​IMG]

Trash in on something smaller and CRT is not near as horrific as on DLP/LCD larger displays.
    Budget for the best source units and feed provider you can. Dial in your OTA roof-antenna for the new display.

Hope any above helps.

5. ToddTH

ToddTH Auditioning

Thank you very much Mary. It was helpful, I didn't know that I needed to keep the tv at 480p to use the zoom functions of the remote. Matter of fact all was helpful to me. The model I am getting is the55" Grand WEGA™ 3LCD Rear Projection HDTVKDF-E55A20, and yes this is my first 16:9 set, so I am a little overwhelmed by all the terminology and getting things set up just right. Thanks again for the input.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

todd, where are you getting the a20 from? also, may i ask what the price is? i'm just curious as i haven't seen any b&m stores carry it yet.

7. ToddTH

ToddTH Auditioning

Hi Ted,

I am getting it a Best Buy, and contrary to popular believe they have been great to me, they let me exchange my samsung 56" dlp for the sony, will deliver new set and pick up samsung, and even matched my price from the samsung which was dropped due to competitive price and a 4 year warranty. The list price on the Sony is $2999.99, after all my exchanges and stuff it cost me about $650.00 less then that.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

[​IMG] well, since i work part time there, i'll have to agree with you. [​IMG] i'm glad they hooked you up.

i thought i checked the system and only saw the a10's ... guess i'll have to check again!

9. ToddTH

ToddTH Auditioning

I live in OR. and the guy said they were new, just came in a few days ago.