What's new

DLP rainbow question (1 Viewer)

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I've been delaying my first HDTV purchase due to the rapid change in technology and connectivity issues. But, my 10 year old Panny blew up on me 2 nights ago, so the time is now! I've found a great deal on the Sammy HLP5085W and will probably buy tonight. My question is, on what sources do some people see rainbows? Is it on all sources like DVD,HDTV satellite,cable, or is it limited to one only? I want to make sure I know what to look for while I demo. Thanks in advance for any help. P.S. feel free to comment on the Samsung.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Man.. LCD RPTV has come a long way.... have you at least looked at them these days?

I see rainbows on virtually all DLP displays I have seen. But I don't find it bad at all on the one your considering.

Just more thoughts on it all. I see rainbown if I look specifically at different parts of the screen while any action is going on.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

I own a Samsung DLP (61") and I occasionally notice rainbows but only in high contrast scenes when I look away from the screen at something else in the room. That is, I don't see them very often and they never bother me at all.

Personally, I love the TV although I do find it finicky. If I had the option, I would have someone professionally calibrate it, unfortunately, I have not been able to find an ISF person here. Having said that, I have used the AVIA disk and played with a lot of the settings changing different settings on the TV and the DVD player and think I finally have the picture dialed in.

The picture is bright and detailed and if I had HD, I am sure the picture would be even better. Love it for the x-box. Gaming on it is a lot of fun. I use the HD connection and the picture for gaming is nothing short of spectacular.

I am very happy with my decision to get the DLP. I wanted a plasma but bang for buck, the DLP won hands down.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Dave

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Most likely see rainbows in dark scenes with specific light sources ...

A headlight at night ... a torch in a cave ... things with stark contrast ...

If you watch very bright material, you may rarely see it.

Rainbows are an annoyance to some and give others stinging headaches ...

You may also become less sensitive to them over time ... (YMMV)

Regards

BennyD

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my Mitsu WD-62525 yesterday. When I was shopping for it I never saw any rainbows in the store. After 14 or so hours of use, it appears that I can see rainbows in two different scenarios.

1) As previous posters have noted, in scenes with stark contrast. The most easy screen to demonstrate this is in the opening screen of any playstation game. When the white Playstation logo is on the black background if you blink your eyes rapidly you can see some rainbows.

2) Whenever I am moving around when viewing. For instance if I get up from where I'm sitting and go to get a drink, when the TV starts to leave my field of vision I see some rainbows.

Overall, they seem to be only a minor nuisance in a very limited range of material. Some other brief observations:

1) I seem to be more susceptible to seeing rainbows when my eyes are fatigued or I'm tired.
2) I see rainbows more easily when there is an abundance of ambient light in the room (e.g. daytime viewing).

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks