What's new

DLP Projectors, Why so High ? (1 Viewer)

JimMAC

Agent
I have noticed, and I am sure you have to, that the DLP projector models come with a high end price tag as compared to units of the same resolution in the LCD market.

But when looking at rptv's the prices between DLP and LCD are about the same or very close. Same technology, right ?

Why the Diff ?

Thanks,
Mac

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
I think you may be mistaken. I am not sure which units you are looking at. Infocus X1 is very highly rated as an entry level FP and it is DLP and possibly the lowest price FP on the market. You might check-out, if you have not already, the "Highly Recommended, Projectors" List at Projectorcentral.com It has the units listed by price range, full reviews of each machine and throw calculators. Here is a link: http://www.projectorcentral.com/reco...projectors.htm

Personally, I chose the Hitachi home-1 LCD. The X1 is native 4:3 and my use is DVD exclusive and I needed the longer throw. There are new units announced, but not yet released in both camps (LCD and DLP) with newer technology. With the low end DLPs, one often mentioned concern is rainbow effect. Some are bothered by it and others not. The entry level units tend to have 2x color wheel and the higher ones have 4x, 5x, etc. supposedly, the faster wheels reduce the likelihood of rainbows. Similarly, LCDs can have SDE (Screen Door Effect). Some LCD units (Like my Home-1) have MLA which can dramatically reduce the visibility of SDE. Proper seat distance (avg 2x screen width) should eliminate these issues.

You might check out the other forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...php?forumid=68 People are LOVING Front Projection. I now have 102" screen with awesome image. I already had the DTS sound system but I added the FP, Screen and cables all for under $2k!

Good luck!
~ Lou ~ :D FP- WOW!! :D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
DLP is sourced from Texas Instruments exclusively, as far as I understand. Thus, more power over the price?

As far as the same rez DLP / LCD - yes, higher rez DLPs are more pricey. But the lower-res DLPs are pretty much equal price.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Probably because any cost differential is minimized in RPTVs because of the cost of the large cabinet and screen, and much higher overhead costs in keeping such large devices in inventory.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I personally believe that TI is doing it because of the projector manufacturers. The last thing that they (proj. man.)want is a low price 720p projector, because they will never sell another high margin $10,000 projector. Since there are no patent protection issues on lcd projectors, competition drove down price and drove up quality.

if the TI patents run out, or the market for high end projectors dries up, you will quickly see cheap 16:9 720p (or 1080p) dlp projectors on the market.

you see cheap 800x600 dlp projectors because they don't take away from the high end market.

JimMAC

Agent
Lou, I guess I should be more specific. If I choose wxga or 1280 x 720, the dlp starting price at projectorcentral.com is $6000.00 and up (some way up).

Now if I do the same search for fp lcd, the starting price for the same resolution is about $2500.00

On the other hand if I look at the 50" HDLP50W151 RCA unit with 1280 x 720 native DLP it runs about $3500 list.

At the same time the Hitachi 50VX50 LCD is about $3400. This is also a native 1280 x 720.

So this technology (DLP) in the rptv format is a deal, while the front projector is about double the price of LCD.

I just don't understand why the fp format demands such a premium for DLP where it is comparable in the rptv format.

I guess there must be a high demand for fp dlp in this resolution ?

Mac

LouAR

Stunt Coordinator
Mark Alan's argument is a strong one. There are probably other reasons and maybe someone will offer some. Mark's point is reasonable.

However, on the less than rational side, many with money will usually find a reason to spend on "higher end" equipment. While "higher end" equipment may certainly be justified in some circumstances, I have difficulty justifying the $250,000 HT that my local HT store claims they install at the upper end of their range. I don't care how much money one spends, there must be diminishing returns curve!

~ Lou ~

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
it also depends on what your buying and what you want to spend. people rip business projectors but personally I think they work great for HT. my first was an old LCD business XGA projector and now I just bought a DLP XGA with DVI-I for $1299 shipped! now considering the X1 is around $1k I will take my chance on a business projector. they have done well for me so far. I think people get to much into specs with uniformity...etc let your eye speak for you. alot of people are not as critical with such small imperfections that most people would not see. look at movie theaters, we have a brand new one thats nice but surely is not perfect and have lots of image quality issues. but we go. the X1 in my opinion was too soft a picture and not good enough resolution. around $1k is ok for that projector but really should be alot less.I will spend a couple hundred more for something with a better resolution and sharper and clear image. my 1997 LCD XGA projector shows no artifacts(which I have heard people say about business projectors) and gives a sharp clear image, and thats with an s-video connection! vga to my computer looked even better!

I think people over look business projectors when they actually do as good if not better than some HT projectors.

DLP is reasonable if you look into business projectors.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait until DLP patents run out. Over $5g's for a medium resolution 1280x720p DLP is a gip imo. LCD technology can be made by anyone and we see prices under 2 grand for the same resolution.

JimMAC

Agent
The only reason I don't think the price is being held high by patent rights, is that the rptv's which use the exact same technology, are priced at the same level as the LCD's at about .0038 cents/pixel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks