DLP Projectors and Epilepsy - A problem?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChrisMcCann, Oct 2, 2005.

1. ChrisMcCann

ChrisMcCann Auditioning

Does anyone know if there is any direct or indirect link with DLP projectors and causing aggrivation or seizures with people with epilepsy?

I am about to purchase an Optoma H79, but im slighly concerned incase the fast moving mirrors, or the fast colour wheel will cause a problem...

Thanks
    Chris

2. TicoTVA

TicoTVA Stunt Coordinator

No I have not , but have heard of Rainbow effect. Samsung has claimed to have sped up the color wheel to reduce the rainbow effect

I'd contact them directly with epilepsy issue though

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

The mirrors 'flicker' at a speed fast enough that you shouldn't be aware of - at a minimum, they've got to be flickering at 23kHz, and probably more like 75kHz.

The RBE is a different story, and I haven't the slightest notion on how RBE and epilepsy might be related if at all. To me, it seems unlikely, but I really don't know much more than the stereotypes about epilepsy, either, so..

Leo

4. ChrisMcCann

ChrisMcCann Auditioning

I appreciate the replies. I took her to see a £6000 Sterling Sim2 DLP system and it gave her a really sore head and sore eyes in a very short period of time.

I think im going to have to get a Panasonic PTAE500 instead.

The film did have a lot of flashing at the start (Racing Stripes), so maybe that was something to do with it. I dont think im going to take the risk though.

THanks
    Chris

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

I get the same. Picked up an X1 a couple of years ago and after about 15 minutes I experienced headaches and such from RBE. I went LCD and haven't looked back. Every film I tested with the X1 exhibited RBE, some worse then other but it was there in every film.

I've had a Panny 200u for 2.5 years, it's been a great machine. One of the pixels recently froze so I sold it and have a Sanyo Z3 arriving Monday. Sanyo has a 3 years P&L warranty vr Panasonics 1 year. That was a sizable factor in my decision not to go back to another Panny, let alone a pixel freezing after only 700 hours of use.

These newer LCD machine put out quite an impressive image don't fret too much about not going DLP.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Th x1 will have a LOT more rainbows than the H70 obviously, but if you are picky about rainbows and fatigue, especially epilepsy, it sounds like single ship DLp is something worth avoiding.

7. ChrisMcCann

ChrisMcCann Auditioning

Sorry, i mean't to say i was going for a Panasonic PT-AE900, not the 500 which i already have. The Panasonic comes with a 2 year warranty and more importantly it has a 5500:1 contrast ratio with the Iris technology, which should be pretty impressive.

I wonder if people still get a sore head with a 3 chipper DLP? Ie: is it just the colour wheel that gives the headaches, or is it something to do with the mirrors?

Chris

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I believe it has to do with the speed of the color wheel.

Also Chris, according to projectorpeople.com & projectorpoint.com the 900 only comes with a 1 year warranty.

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It is the colorwheel, 3-chippers are the least fatiguing displays in my experience, along with other 3-chip machines like LCD and LCOS.

10. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

RBE is the reason we have a LCD RPTV. I absolutly cannot stand rainbows and I see them on everything (well, obviously single chip DLP's [​IMG] )