What's new

DLP Projector or 65" RPTV? (1 Viewer)

David Barteaux

Stunt Coordinator
For roughly the same price of a 65" HDTV ready RPTV, I could get a DLP or LCD projector that can project a much larger image. What would be the best choice? Is there a major difference in picture quality with CRT's as opposed to the newer projectors that are hitting the market now?

Thanks

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
CRT's have the best quality picture that you can get. I've owned an LCD PJ and I got very tired of the "screendoor" effect and dead pixels. DLP's are much better but a lot of people are affected by a "rainbow" of colour when looking from side to side while watching the screen.
I now own a Marquee 8000 CRT Projector that can do 16x9 and HDTV. (Actually, it can do 2500 x 2000) My next step is getting it hooked up to a HTPC, I'm currently using a DVD player and a Line Doubler. It looks amazing but I'm really only using about a third of it's resolution. :)
It's also the only PJ that can do true blacks! Don't let all this fool you though, you have to really be into HT to own one of these as they take a little work to get started. I started into CRT knowing absolutely nothing but I've learned a lot (still am everyday) and can honestly say that it really doesn't take much to get it going, just patience.
They're big, they're bad but they've got the best picture and I'm glad! ;)
Good luck in your search...

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
But not all LCDs have screendoor problems nor everyone can see "rainbows" so my advice is to demo each technology and decide yourself. But in any case go with a FP system be it CRT, DLP, or LCD since its the only way to get the theater experience at home.

Regards

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I haven't seen an LCD unit that you couldn't see the screendoor effect on but maybe that's just me. They do ALL suffer from dead pixels though and that's a fact.
And like I said, a lot of people see the rainbow effect while watching DLP but not everyone. If it doesn't bother you than you're in luck, just don't expect all of your guests not to notice.
LCD & DLP give you an easy plug and play good quality picture with average blacks but you don't need a dark room to enjoy it.
CRT gives you the BEST picture you can get with the best blacks but you must have controlled lighting and be willing to go through the initial setup.
Check these out if you don't believe me...
http://home.t-online.de/home/bjoern....or/page_01.htm
I don't think Bjoern Roy will mind since they were posted in another Forum... ;)

W

Will

Getting back to the original question, which is whether

to get a 65" RPTV or a DLP or LCD projector that projects

into a much bigger area, as I understand it, many people

get an RPTV when they can't control the ambiant light in

their room. If you sometimes watch TV/DVD's during the day

and some sunlight flows into your viewing room, you

might want to get an RPTV. Otherwise, you might prefer

a projector. Another difference which I guess is pretty

obvious, is that a projector needs a place to project in

the middle or back of the room, and you may or may not

want a special screen in the front of the room, while

a 65" RPTV sits in the front of the room, as a permanent

piece of furniture, typically about 5 feet by 5 feet by

2 1/2 feet, which sits there, whether it is in use or

turned off. Also when turned off, some RPTVs when viewed

straight-on, look a little like a 65" mirror, staring back

at you.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I haven't seen an LCD unit that you couldn't see the screendoor effect on but maybe that's just me.
Try a Sony VPL-W400Q and you won't see the screendoor. And regarding rainbows I do see them and that kills DLP for me at least for the time being.

Also, I never said anything about CRT's PQ, as I know a CRT delivers the best PQ right now but just like digital projectors, it is not for everyone.

I agree with Will in that you need light control in order to use a digital projector to its fullest capacity so take that in consideration.

Regards

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I think another question must be asked when thinking of a FP and that is how many hours a week do you watch TV. CRT's in rear screen projectors can last 10,000hrs vs 1000-2000 hrs for high pressure lamps that cost $300-700 vs maybe 1000 to 2000hrs on front projector CRT's that cost well over a $1000. I found the best overall solution was a 27" for everything but DVD's which I use my Boxlight 455. That should give a much lower cost of operation figure.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
A great idea indeed. It will be nice to know which are your viewing preferences, mostly DVDs, 4:3,etc in order to have better suggestions.

Regards

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
maybe 1000 to 2000hrs on front projector CRT's that cost well over a $1000
Is this a joke? The tubes on a CRT can last just as long as a RPTV. (You do realize that RPTV's use CRT tubes right?)

I've seen CRT's with well over 10,000 hours that still blow away any other picture I've seen. (The user was aware that lowering his Contrast and Brightness settings would give his tubes a longer life)

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
A Rear projector's CRT's are loafing to send an image a few feet to a lens screen. The Front projector is running near flat out to project a large image (84" or greater) on a low gain screen. I was quoting from a Madrigal ad on their IDLA projector but Barco list CRT's lifespan at 4000 to 7000. All projector lamps and CRT's lifespans are listed at the 50% mark.

bryan_chow

Agent
The CRTs in front projectors are typically rated to last 10,000 hours. Here's a pic from my Sony 1272Q with 1800 hours (obviously the tubes are still fine):
Link Removed
If you can deal with the size, weight and complexity (setup and convergence) and don't mind buying used they're clearly the best deal. You can easily find them for less than 10% of their original prices (around $20K!).
Bryan

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I think I can best tackle the question on whether to get a pj or RPTV. I had the NEC LT150 first. Loved the picture, no rainbows for me and just adore the 8' screen. But I started counting the hours on the lamp and found that I couldn't regulate ambient light all that well. We ended up selling it and getting a 65" RPTV. Now, I believe we enjoy the set, our TV shows and our movies.

Oh and BTW, the pj was about $1000 less than the TV.

W

Will

With regard to ambient light, I understand some FP's are

brighter than others. The LT150 generates I believe, 800 lumens

but other front projector generate over 1000 lumens.

Mark Rejhon

Auditioning
I'm in the market for a new DILA projector (which, IMHO, can be superior to LCD and DLP after proper calibration) ...
I am aware of the ambient light problem during days in a living room ... My plan is to have a 7' or 8' screen mounted on the wall above a 27" TV set in low-profile TV cabinet (so the bottom of the screen is at sofa viewing level). Projector for DVD during evenings and nights, and television during the day or for TV shows.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
IMHO, almost regardless of the lumen rating on a projector, you need to have pretty good light control in the room you plan to watch it in. The screen is, after all, white - and the black level you can achieve is compromised when there is ambient light in the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks