DLP Projector -- NEC LT260K

Discussion in 'Displays' started by chris^sm, Oct 28, 2003.

1. chris^sm

chris^sm Auditioning

Hi everyone.

Does anyone have personal experience with this projector (NEC LT260K)? I am considering it for a home theater installation with a 120" diagonal screen.

It seems to have good specs:

2000:1 contrast ratio
    2100 lumens
    2000 hr bulb life

(figures seem to fluctuate depending on which website you look at and also depending on whether the projector is in econo-mode or not)

It all looks good on paper, and the reviewer at projectorcentral liked it, but i'm looking for real-life users opinions!

Also, does anyone know why the NEC HT1000, which seems to have lower specs apart from contrast ratio, is far more expensive?

thank you

2. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

I considered those two projectors and went with the HT1000. The LT 260 is a data grade projector. NEC's first projector for dedicated home theater use is the HT1000. I love mine and I am very glad that I spent the extra dollars.
    I'm more of a newbie than a qualified videophile and I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that the color wheel in the two projectors is significantly different--no white segment in the HT1000. The LT260 needs the white segment for data projection. The HT1000 will give you more vibrant colors without the white segment.
    In reality, I don't think you can go wrong with either projector but a dedicated home theater projector with all of the tweaking ability that NEC built into the HT1000 to optimize home theater performance was worth it to me.

3. chris^sm

chris^sm Auditioning

Thanks for the info Jimmy. The thing that turns me off from the HT1000 is that it is only 1000 lumens. I need to project onto a 120" screen as I mentioned, and i've read that 1000 lumens simply isn't enough to handle this.

Does anyone else have thoughts on the LT260K? Anyone at all using it for home theater? Thanks again

chris

4. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

Have you read the user reviews of the LT260 at the Projectorcentral.com website? If not, I would check them out as well as the professional reviews there. Also go to the AV Science Forum board and look under Display Devices, Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3500 USD MSRP and Up forum of AVS Forum and the "Happy NEC HT1000 owners" thread.
    Plenty of good info on both models.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Something like the Sanyo plv70 would be a pretty good match with a 120" screen due to it putting out a lot of light, up to 2200 a.l. and up to 900:1 contrast ratio.

6. chris^sm

chris^sm Auditioning

Thanks for the pointer to the AVS forum jimmy~e! That is exactly what I was looking for. :)

chris

7. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

My pleasure, Chris. I hope it helps with your projector decision. A guy screen named "guitarman" is the HT 1000 expert over there. Pose a question or send him a message and he'll answer all your questions.

8. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

hehe, yip he definately loves the projector.

im in a bit of a hurry but will say that I tried the LT240 in my HT and it was pretty nice. not as good as my CRT but nice. as for ambient light, it was easily watchable in the daylight on a 8ft wide screen.

about the color wheel, the HT1000 has a 4x color wheel compared to the LT's 2x wheel.. i don't want to open a can of worms on the rainbow debate but my g/f saw them every couple seconds with the X1 a lot less with the LT240.

Make sure you go watch a DLP projector for a 1/2 hour or so and see if you are sensitive or buy from a place with a liberal return policy.

also, the HT1000 has DVI. I almost bought one but instead of the $6000 CDN it would have cost me, i decided to upgrade my Barco 800 CRT to a better model. For me digital just isn't there yet.

Craig

9. jimmy~e

jimmy~e Agent

I'm still waiting to see my first rainbow with my HT 1000. How much has professional calabration cost you with your CRT Front Projector! (I'm just being a digital snob!!!). I am not a videophile by any stretch but damn do I love the picture with my dlp projector!
    With my HT1000, it sits on my equipment rack in the living room. I bring it out and sit it on a coffee table when I want to watch High Def digital cable or a DVD, and then I put it away again. I love that flexibility in my living room.

10. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Jimmy,

calibration hasn't cost me anything as i bought from Curt Palme and he is local for me. CRT's aren't too much of a hassle at all, i converge it every couple months, at about 10 minutes a time, not too bad at all..

i do see how a digital is attractive though, like I said, i almost bought a HT1000, but at $6g, it just seemed like a downgrade instead of an upgrade.

when the CRT dies, that might be a different story though. in a couple years, PJ's that out perform the HT1000 will probably drop a couple thousand with the improvements in technology.

Craig

11. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

dvi input is one difference with the HT1000, as is a faster color wheel.
    although they eventually didn't bother me greatly, i did still see rainbows on my NEC LT150 (2x wheel) fter 2 yrs of viewing, but i see significantly less on the HT.
    Rainbows are a complete non-issue for me now- ymmv.

i haven't seen the LT260 (or 240), but the HT was good step up from my LT150 in most of the features and general quality of the image.
    the two things about it i really love are its excellant low operational noise level (about as loud as a pc, the furnace makes more noise) and its ability to sit so far off to the side of the room and still project a geometrically perfect image thru its cornerstone adjustments.
    i can't see any visible degredation of the image, and if there is any, the ability to sit dead center improves the overall viweing experience so much , that the trade off would still be worth it ( i don't have my pj ceiling mounted).

120" i think would be a little too large for an XGA res pj like the HT.
    even if you are planning to sit farther than 18' away from the screen, i would still say you would be better off projecting smaller than your first impulse would lead you to.
    picture quality increases dramatically the more you reduce the size and increase your viewing distance.