What's new

dlp on wall (1 Viewer)

KevinCAR

Grip
anybody hang a projection dlp or lcd on the wall, how is it? whats the weight like, hows the distance from it sticking out of the wall?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well my DLP is 65 pounds and would stick fairly far from the wall, i would rather see it on a stand personally.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
A local restaurant/sports bar has several RPTV "on the wall" however they are actually on shelves that are mounted on the wall, but it gives the appearance that they are "wall mounted".

These TV's do stick out so to speak from the wall however in the restaurant it doesn't look too weird.......however in your home is a different story. You can also tell that it was the contractors that put the shelves in due to the look of them they "appear" very sturdy for obvious reasons.

What is your situation that calls for such a solution? If you really want a big picture "up on your wall" you could look into front projection and then all you would have on your wall is the "screen"

Rick

KevinCAR

Grip
Well i have a fireplace built in the only wall big enough to put a big screen, so i would have to mount it up above it. the 42-46 dlps are about 13-16 inches width dont know how it would look though.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
A 42" or 46" LCD RP, LCoS or DLP would come in at about 60 to 65 pounds. A comparable LCD flatpanel would be about 45 lbs, while a 42" to 50" plasma (I couldn't find a 46" in my brief survey of a couple of retail sites) would run from about 80 to a little over 100 lbs. Of course, plasmas and LCD panels are designed to be wall-mounted and their weight is well-distributed by the nature of their design, in addition to whatever extra efforts the manufacturers put into them. Rear projection sets of any kind obviously are not designed to be mounted to a wall and almost certainly can't be, not directly, anyway. A shelf, as noted above, would be your only option.

If cost is the problem, I don't think you'll find a huge price difference in your size range between the flat panels and the micro-displays. (Especially if you're not in a hurry to make a move. Improved manufacturing techniques and yields, as well as increased capacity, will bring prices down for both plasma and LCD in the next 6 to 8 months, and most of those will be native 1080p units with better video processing chips.) Your application would actually seem to cry out for a front projection system - especially if you ever intend to use that fireplace. (I'd be very worried about mounting anything electronic in such close proximity to a heat source like that.)

Regards,

Joe

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin

Even though you MAY be able to do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it. I would caution you in "mounting" a RPTV on the wall in such a manner that is clearly not designed for........besides you wouldn't want to end up looking like the home theater equivalent of this.........

Just be careful.....and explore your options into a front projector or a flat panel TV.

Best of luck.

Rick

KevinCAR

Grip
well im not sure if i am right but plasmas just dont have the life span a dlp has minus buying a new bulb every 5 years or so, and a flat screen lcd is too much money and i think i am limited to 40"?? any ways my fireplace is built on a corner wall i can take the drywall off and mount the tv in the wall and also build a nother wall around the pipe leading to the roof and fire rate it too. I can also build pockets into the wall to place my amps and dvd player and hide all the walls. Nothing on my mantel on that wall ever gets even hot when i have a fire going.

Also the pipe is fire rated going through the wall or it would have burnt the house down by now as theres nothing around it but poly and plywood and its not even touched by any heat..just a idea though

Kevin...one thing you can't ignore is that you need to allow some air flow around the rear of the DLP to dissipate the heat from the lamp. I believe I saw in a Samsung 42" DLP manual that it should have at least 4 inches clearance from a wall for ventilation...or the heat buildup could shorten component life and degrade performance.

Jack

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
also...don't forget the vertical viewing angles on a dlp are not anywhere near a plasma. We have a new restaurant near the house that put a big dlp up in the wall...it is almost unwatchable. you can mount a plasma at an angle pointing down at the seating area giving an even better picture.

I agree, the viewing angle is critical on the DLP's I have been looking at...mainly the 42" Samsung and Sony. Whatever angle you are at, the far side of the screen will start to darken quickly as you increase the angle.

Jack

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin...how far from the TV will you be sitting? We recently mounted a 42" Plasma up above the fire place in our hearth room. distance is about 8 - 10 feet. The 42" is sized just right for what we use it for and was less than $2K. The 42" TVs look small in the store with 30foot ceilings sitting next to 60" TVs...but once you get them home they aren't that bad. buy a wall mount that you can angle down to the sitting area.
you might also want to re-research the life span issue on plasmas...I think it is a lot longer than you are thinking. The newer models have a long "half life" that will probably outlast the technology...meaning you'll most likely want to upgrade long before the useful life of the tv is over. good luck

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The "short lifespan" of plasma has been greatly exagerated. As for price - just random selections from the Best Buy website:

Magnavox 42" Plasma HDTV on sales $1799.99

Maxent 42" Plasma Monitor (only) HD-ready $1799.99

Westinghouse 40" LCD HDTV with built-in DVD player $2099.99 (I have their 27" and 32" LCD panels and fine them terrific in rooms where there is always a bit of ambient light, and probably a touch better on SD source cable TV than my 56" JVC HD-ILA LCoS set.)

Westinghouse 42" Monitor (only) 1080p LC $2499.99

LG 42" Plasma HDTV $2299.99

Regards,

Joe

KevinCAR

Grip
here is something i came acroos about the dlp for viewing angle

The Samsung 43" DLP we observed had excellent side to side viewing angle but the picture darkened dramatically if the viewing angle is above center. It seemed the optimum viewing angle was a 10-15 degree down angle from the screen.

those are good prices for the plasmas but im in canada and the prices are still pretty steep compared to a dlp. I would really like to know what the "real" half life is on the plasmas that are out right not.

As for the other post i will measure how far my sitting area will be.

Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciated it.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Infocus and RCA both make dlp RPTVs that are designed to be wall mounted.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Just an observation, but I can't imagine that whatever minimal cost you might save on the monitor by buying a DLP would offset the amount of time, money, and frustration you'd have to spend trying to mount the thing on the wall. Not too mention the potential for a below average picture given the viewing angles.

Just buy an LCD or Plasma, take 10 minutes to mount it and be done with it. Sit back and enjoy....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks