DLP newbie projector questions, displaying 16:9 material, etc??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Boulanger, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Mike_Boulanger

Mike_Boulanger Stunt Coordinator

Mar 5, 2000
    Looking to "upgrade" my Toshiba TW56X81 56" HDTV-ready rear projector with a front projector in a dedicated HT room.

Just had my first DLP projector experience tonight. Friend of mine brought over an Infocus LP340. Picture was good, but the contrast was poor. Blacks weren't very black, more like gray.

I'm interested in purchasing a Sharp PG-M20X which I have read excellent reviews on, but I just wanted to get a feel for what a DLP projected image looks like. I'm assuming that the Sharp will improve on the contrast quite a bit, like the specs would lead you to believe...

What I found most annoying was the amount of light projected around the 2.35:1 image of the movie I was watching. I was kind of expecting the projector to just project the image and not a huge square with the image inside - know what I mean? I was running an HTPC at 800x600, with WinDVD running full-screen, projecting on a plain white wall.

I'm wondering if this can be adjusted somehow, or if this is just how it is with a digital projector...

Any advice, comments in general on this purchase?

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Mar 7, 2002
    To be honest, the LP340 is probably not an ideal solution for home theater. It has only a 400:1 on/off contrast ratio and probably an ANSI of somewhere around 300:1 or less. With 1300 ANSI lumens, that means your lowest black level is still pretty high. Also, white walls are not very ideal for digital projectors. CRT projectors are fine with white, but with digital projectors, gray screens seem to work better, especially for blackaholics.

The M20X has far FAR better blacks than the LP340. It has 1000:1 on/off contrast and a very high 800:1 ANSI contrast. If you mate it with something like a Stewart Firehawk (or grayhawk), or Dalite High Contrast Damat, you'll really see a difference. Also, you are going to want to use masking for the screen if you're extremely picky about blacks. Calibration, of course, matters as well.