DLP & LCOS Prices coming down?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnPaulJ, Jun 22, 2003.

1. JohnPaulJ

JohnPaulJ Extra

With these emerging technologies, how long would it take for
    the DLP and Lcos TV's to come down in price....say to the current rear projection market prices...?

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'm hoping for even a slight price drop by this Christmas selling season.

Doubt the DLP and LCOS sets will go below $2K til maybe 2005/6 at the earliest.

CRT RPTV's are quite a bargain these days.
    I notice that the Panny 47" HDTV first sold at just over $2k but can be found lately for under $1300 bucks. Not a bad TV.

I can get a Sammy DLP for around $2600 right now (the 43") so thats not to bad a price for a state-of-the-art television. Still it would be great to see the price drop to below $2500 at the end of the year.

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I heard from a friend that we should expect to see the prices of LCD come way down due to a new method of producing the LCD panels. He said that the current process involves using multiple panels for one set because LCD panels can only be made up to a certain(not very big) size. There is a new process that can make LCD panels at any size so only one panel would be used for TVs. This will bring production costs way down and in turn, bring the cost to us way down as well.

4. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Richard, I would be very interested in hearing more about this. Can you ask your friend where we might be able to find more info on it?

RG

5. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

Hmmm... My uncle bought a SharpVision XVZ9000 about 18 months ago... it listed for $12K, he got it for $10K... now I see it sells for $6500 [​IMG]

Want a price break? Buy last year's model [​IMG]

M.