What's new

DLP, LCD, or Plasma?? (1 Viewer)

Reuben_S

Auditioning
Ok guys.
This is a noob question but which format is better? I really have no clue and am looking to upgrade my tv to a 46" hdtv. Any info you guys have would be apreaciated or if you could point me in the direction of some articles on the subject that would be great too.
Thnaks in advance

John S

Senior HTF Member
All formats have plus and mimus areas.

If your looking at flat panels.. Your pretty much either going to have to do LCD or Plasma.

A little confused because you list one Direct View technology, one technology that can be both projection and direct view, then 1 that is projection technology only.
Are looking for a direct view or a projection display?
Budget?
Primary use?
Gaming too?

I'm not exactly sure where to send you, but there is a ton to know about all three of these.

Reuben_S

Auditioning
Ok which is which then?
I understand projection is a old technology. Direct view is better isn't it? Primarily will be used for dvd movies and gaming. I understand that dlp is the projection view but is it better than old projection views where you couldn't move more than one seat over on a couch before the picture started to distort?
Any article or info would help.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm well rear projection has come a long way.

Even CRT projection can go about 8' off center at 10' viewing distance without degrading the picture.

LCD Rear Projection can go way off axis without degrading.
Direct view really has no concerns with this.

So, I guess I'd vote for around a 50" LCD Rear Projection for you.

Here is a basic primer for you. Maybe a bit outdated though.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108443-1.html?tag=nav

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
While plasma has a very bright display they have the really bad habits of screen burn, high power usage and also the display quality starts to deterioriate over the years. And they're still quite expensive for the larger display sizes, too.

The best way to see which model you want is to see it for yourself. So far, the best units I've seen (my own preferences) in the 50" range are the Samsung HL-P5063W, Mitsubishi WD-52525, and Sony KDF50WE655.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
That Samsung is a nice set but it's also one of the many Samsung DLPs that's known to have a problem with video lag while playing video games. There's been a big discussion about it on another AV board.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks