1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

dlp, lcd or direct view - help needed.......please...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brad Newton, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

My old 36" RCA apparently died last night. Can't get it to turn on this a.m. So I guess that I am looking for a new tv. Most of the tv we watch is by:
    local channels via antenna
    satellite
    dvd's
    I do have a stb to receive the local digital channels, but wasn't really planning on updating to hdtv until more programming was available. So what do I do? The old RCA gave me a good sharp picture on analog signals. What tv out there will give me a good picture on the ota analog signals. satellite signals & dvd's, and is capable of hd also. Are some with both an analog & hd tuner?
    All of the larger screens (dlp, etc) have not shown me a good analog picture, which is what the wife will watch mostly. She just wants to turn on the tv & watch it.

2. John S

John S Producer

You asking the impossible....

It is so subjective. I find good analog channels give good picture, bad analog channels give poor picture. And yes this isn't near as notice-able on smaller screen sizes.

The mid 40"'s screen size, is where SD gets really un-bare-able without a display at least internally line doubling such / all sources that are not 480p and higher.

3. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    So what's your budget?? What size limit???

My parents Mitsubishi 52" 52725 DLP TV has a chip in it to clean up analog channels and it indeed works beautifully. I was amazed how clear non-HDTV channels look.

The Mitsubishi also has built in HDTV tuner and cablecard capability.

With more details you will maybe get more responses.

Alfer

4. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I would like something in the 42 - 45" range. I need somethng that works fairly easily. The wife just wants to be able to turn on the tv & watch it. Since I am able to receive most of the locals in digital form, should I not even worry about the analog signals? Another potential snag is that I have both the satellite & ota signal running thru a splitter to 2 other sets via coax. If I switch to a 16x9 set & change the setup in the satellite receiver's menu will this distort the picture to the other sets, or does this change only effective via composite or svideo connections?

5. John S

John S Producer

I know that is what your wife wants. Just turn on the display and watch. But truthfully these days are nearly gone forever of it being that easy. I don't even make it an option anymore when doing installs. Proper training and use-age will be needed.

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Plus if you buy a nice universal remote with Macro's she will only need to press one button to get everything up and running...That's what I did for my wife and haven't heard any complaints since I went from 3 remotes to just one.

Your wife will be fine if you just teach her how to use this stuff.

[​IMG]

7. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

I found that a universal remote set-up didn't work for my wife, to control TV, DVD, VCR, receiver and HDTV cable box. Too much volume variance among analog and digital stations, too many devices to manage.etc.
    Both my set-ups are fully wired for 7:1 sound, but also wired to allow wife to just turn on the TV and HDTV cable box while using the TV's sound.