What's new

DLP: Is it the next CRT-RPTV in the world of t.v.s? (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
A friend asked me about purchasing a t.v. I explained to him how LCD is certainly cheaper as well as DLP (stayed away from plasma). However seeing the prices now for DLP I'm wondering if DLP is going in the same direction as CRT-RPTVs.
I mean a 65 inch DLP can be had for less than 1800.00 now and I think that's pretty cheap. I suggested DLP because I saw one 1080p in my brother in law's house and in comparison to LCD and plasma, I was impressed by everything scaled to 1080p on that set.
I'm pretty sure LCD will do the same but for broadcast not the best looking picture. I have a 37 inch Phillips LCD and the picture is good but it couldn't hold a candle to the DLP screen I saw. So is DLP on the verge of being obsolete or is just cheaper.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Traditional DLP TVs utilize a bulb that goes dim and eventually needs replacing. There are now LED DLP sets that require no bulb, but they have other problems like inconsistent lighting and poor viewing angles.

DLP is hardly on the verge of obsolescence, but rear projection technology is not as hot as the flat TVs.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
That's a very interesting point, I did mention to the friend that DLP is a little thicker than LCD and he mentioned that he would be getting an entertainment center for the t.v. and expressed some concerns. Good point.

Dave>h

Second Unit
I have owned a Samsung DLP for almost 4 years now and have absolutely no complaints.

It does need calibrating to get the picture just right and the fan noise can be distracting occasionally but otherwise, I think it is a great purchase.

And while the complaint about the bulb is justified (although I have not yet had to replace mine), a new bulb is cheap and means your tv is "as new" again. If the lights go out on your plasma or LCD, it means a new TV.

It is also a more energy efficient display on a "per viewable inch" basis that either LCD or plasma. So if you want to say your are going green, it is a marginally better choice.

Yes, you can't hang it on the wall but your friend sounds like he is putting it in a cabinet anyway...

My .02 and worth at least that!

Brian D H

Second Unit
Yep: Thin is in and 1080P is in. That's why I got a 50" Samsung DLP 720P set - it was only $900. Maybe they will become obselete, but for now they are the best bargain out there. I couldn't be happier with mine. True, it doesn't have the resolution of the 1080 sets, but from my viewing distance (9') I couldn't see much of a difference.

Short answer. Go look at them in the store FROM YOUR VIEWING DISTANCE and decide if you're ok with DLPs limitations: thicker cabinet and bulb replacement. For half the price of everything else it was fine with me. (If you find you need to get the 1080P set you'll only save about 25%-35%, but still...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks