DLP in Theaters?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark Shannon, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

This question, I beleive, has to do with Display Devices...

I was reading through the FutureShop flyer about 15 minutes ago, and noticed that they are selling a Sony 50" DLP Widescreen Projection Television.

Next to the advertisement, it says "Why Buy DLP" and lists three points. One of them states that this is the same technology that is used in Movie Theaters and Cinemas.

I found this kind of odd, because I always thought that Theaters use an (in a nutshell) simple projection system whereas film passes in front of a light, and is projected onto a screen. Am I right in this assumption?

If not, how is the image on a reel of film transferred to a DLP. Film (in my understanding) is by no means digital.

TIA (Thanks In Advance)

2. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Star Wars wasn't the first movie to be shown on DLP it was just the first movie to be recorded digitally to be shown on DLP. DLP was around before Star Wars which was only a year ago. Go to DLP.com and you can find all the movies that were shown on DLP and there ones older than Star Wars.

Daniel Smith

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    Actually, 'Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace' was the very first film to be shown publicly in a theater using DLP projectors. If I remember correctly it was screened digitally on only 4 screens but that's because there were only 4 DLP equiped theaters back then and in fact all four had been so equiped for the very purpose of premiering 'Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace'.

Sanjay
    Member since 1997