What's new

DLP HD2+ vs HD3 HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

bruce sherman

Auditioning
All other things being equal, which DLP set would be better for watching movies on DVD, one with the HD2+ chip or one with the new HD3 chip?

I have read that the new HD3 chip is actually a lower cost chip but that it smooths the edges giving a less sharp but more "film like " image. Is this true?

Also, will the HD3 chip produce blacks as deep as the HD2+ chip?

Any thoughts you have would be most appreciated. I am having great difficulty deciding which set to buy. Again, my main use is for movies on DVD (and I will use a progressive scan player and a good scaler).

Thanks,
Bruce Sherman

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Quoting a quote from an old post of mine (so this is like many generations removed, and old):

"Based on information provided by TI:

HD2, 0.8”, 1280x720, CR= 1000:1
HD3, 0.55”, 1280x720, CR= 1500:1
HD2+, 0.8”, 1280x720, CR= 3000:1
xHD3, 0.9”, 1920x1080, CR= 5000:1
"

The HD2+ is still the best chip out there at this resolution, not sure what's on the horizon.

bruce sherman

Auditioning
I do understand that the HD2+ chip is more expensive and probably sharper. But I have heard that the HD3 chip, while less sharp, gives images that are smoother and more film-like--especially with DVD's..

Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, are the blacks on the HD3 as deep as on the HD2+? I understand that they use the same "Dark Chip2" technology.

Thanks!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Bruce: The hd3 has a lower pixel on the chip count than 720 (i forget the exact panel resolution), and approximates a 720p picture via the smoothpicture shifting. I've not spent much time with this in person except on one RPTV that looked absolutely horrendous, but I suspect the source or scaling was mainly to blame for this.

As for the question of blacks, that question was answered in my post that listed the CR specs of these chips:

HD3: 1500:1
Hd2+: 3000:1

Now, these are rough CR specs.

Gary N

Auditioning
HD2 and HD2+ side by side comparisons would truly be needed.
With all things being equal, video scaling and proccess etc. it may be difficult for the average person to btell the difference.

as for the hd3 chip. No front projectors have them yet.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The issue with HD3 in FP may be fixed throw distance. This is a fairly out on a limb presumption, but loosely based on how the HD3/ xHD3 chip idea works. Just a hunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks