DLP front projector vs RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidDon, Jan 9, 2003.

1. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

Now that the DLP front projectors are more feasible, how do they compare with a good large RPTV (close to the same sizes? I am in the market now and it is tough to compare on my own because most stores do not calibrate their RPTVs.

I have little children so I must consider durability and ease of use too. I will be watching DVD and HD programs...ideally. The room does have windows that can be blocked out with shades...it has to remain a dual purpose room.

Any comment from anyone?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Projected at the same size, I prefer the look of a DLP front projector (even projected much bigger) but a lot has to do with what you will be watching on it. My preference is for movies or maybe a little HDTV as well but for more general use, you may opt for a RPTV. As you may know, digital front projectors have a bulb life (ranging from 1000 hours which is not too common to 3000 hours depending on the model of projector and the cost of replacement can be $200-300.

That said, there simply is no way to experience movies like FPTV as it duplicates the theatrical ambience. Make sure to do demos of your own on various DLP (& LCD + CRT) models.

What is your budget?

3. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

I have been considering the 65" Hitachi RPTV since it has had such great reviews. But, for the size, I can't put it anywhere else in my house should I later decide to upgrade. And I don't see any possibility of reselling such an item.

So spending more on something I am less likely to relplace/upgrade is a condideration. I am not in the $10,000 range, but the recent review of the Piano Avanti makes me wonder if there is something else/better to consider.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you are in the Avanti price-range then also consider the Sony HS10, Sharp Z1, Dell 3200MP and the Infocus X1.