What's new

DLP dimples? (1 Viewer)

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
I recently read an article in the circuits section where they mentioned a problem with DLP projectors. They were calling them "dimples" and even quoted Texas Instruments as coming out with a new DLP chip that is dimple free.

What exactly are the dimples? I assume is like a dark spot on the screen?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
A dimple is a spot in the middle of each DLP mirror. It causes a small dark dot in the middle of each pixel. The HD2+ has no dimple.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If each pixel has a dark spot resulting from a dimple in its respective mirror, is there an overall haze over the screen caused by light reflecting off the dimples and going in various random directions? This would be comparable to unnatural ghosting on dark parts of the scene as viewed on an RPTV due to light reflections inside the cabinet.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I just found this with a brief google search, there are better illustrations out there but here:

http://www.chip-china.com/images/2003/0918/dlp.JPG

The picture of the mirror shows the dimple, that black hole in the middle of the mirror. This was necessary in manufacturing i think to secure the mirror or make the pivot thing. Anyway, the HD2+ chips don't have dimples anymroe.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Are there any other notable improvements with the HD2+ system, like:

- Three chips / Three color wheels instead of one (to eliminate rainbows).

- True 1080i support.

Will HD2+ be a home product?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
HD2+ projectors are out now, around $10K. You may find the shootouts between the Shark 12000 HD2+ projector and both a Nec XG and Sony G70 CRT over at AVS interesting.

The HD2+ dlps are the first projectors, IMO, which are a fair comparison against a CRT. Previous models just weren't close.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

I recently installed a Marantz vp-12S3 in my own theater. I am loving it!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks