DLP, CRT, LCD RPTV's...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Chris Rock, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Can anyone point me in the direction of a resource that compares and contrasts the different types of RPTV technology...like CRT, LCD, and DLP.

I am starting the preliminary preparations on looking to upgrade to a 55"-65" widescreen HDTV. I've seen that the price range is pretty wide ($2K-$20+K) and I'm wondering what functionality and features, as well as the benefits and drawbacks there are with each type of technology.

All I'm looking for is a URL, really. However, if anyone has first-hand experience or knowledge, I'm all ears.

I have to say I'm leaning toward the

2. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Good luck. I posed a similar question on this site a couple of weeks ago and have not received much of a response. I have, however, done some research on my own and have learned the following:

CRT fans claim that they present a better picture than more modern front projector technology, but CRTs seem more complicated to set-up and maintain and need to be recalibrated 6 or more times per year. It also seems to be on its way out, so it may get more difficult to get replacement bulbs and other parts when needed.

Fans or more modern front projectors claim that they present a better picture than CRT, but there seem to be several competing technologies out there, they also need regular recalibration, and they don't seem up to true HDTV at anything I consider to be a reasonable cost. While I think this is the future of TV, the need for various screen mats for the different formats, the fact that different manufacturer's sets cannot be hung at the same distance from the screen, the fact that bulbs are still somewhat expensive, and the fact that you still seem to need extra equipment (such as scalers, etc) for the best picture, lead me to conclude that the time is not yet ripe to buy a front projector.

RPTVs seem to have a fairly good picture, but not really true HDTV either. And they take a heck of a lot of space, all being very tall and deep. The exception is the new Samsung sets, which seem light, thin, and with great pictures. The Samsung DLP sets also don't have any burn-in issues so you don't have to worry about whether you are watching regular TV, 16x9 movies, etc. on them (as least according to the salesmen at Best Buy). But I have heard about some rainbow effect problems with the DLP sets in certain circumstances.

Plasma screens have a great picture and are very thin. But their pixels will eventually burn out, leaving you with white spots here and there. Most warrantys seem to replace the set for you if you get more than 5 burned out pixels, but I have noticed on my digital camera and computer screen that even 1 burned out pixel is bothersome. You also generally can't fix a plasma screen. If something goes wrong with it, you have to replace it. And plasmas are still overpriced in my opinion.

LCD screens have a great picture, but they are still not made in very large sizes, and they have the same pixel burn out problem that plasmas do. And they are more expensive for their size.

I am thus far leaning toward one of the new 50 inche Samsung DLP sets as their picture is much sharper than other RPTVs and they are shorter than all other RPTVs, but they are brand new and seem overpriced, if you can even find one in stock.

If anyone disagrees with anything I've said, feel free to correct me as I am still researching this all.

3. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

4. John_W_Sni

John_W_Sni Auditioning

I also have been asking similar questions and have found the forum too "busy" or otherwise to chime in.

After doing research I have the same feedback Torngy has.

I have seen the 50" thin bezel Samsung DLP on the net for $2999.....the local HH Gregg was asking $3999 for it - way over priced.

I think you should be able to get the 61" when it comes out (it may be out already) for $3999 best case.

I haven't been able to confirm, but I don't think any RPTV is capable of 720p. This, by some, is considered to be the preferred format for some HDTV programs and a couple of networks are broadcasting in 720p, or planning on moving to 720p soon (FOX I think).

Don't get me wrong 1080i on a well calibrated RPTV will look great. Many have 1080i as a native scan rate as well (at least I'm pretty sure).

The Samsungs have 720p as native, and will adjust most if not all of the video inputs to this standard.

Also, this set has the new DVI input as well....note also that Samsung makes a DVI capable DVD player as well...mixed reviews on this forum regarding this.

I am currently in the same situation you are, and lacking any good testimonials on the virtues of RPTV's on this site, I'm thinking of going Samsung 61" DLP. I hope by XMAS the price gets down to the $3k range and I'll pull the trigger.

Also, if the forum could possibly extoll the virtues of buying an RPTV instead of a Sammy DLP, pls let us know!!!

5. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

6. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

OMG...
    I was looking at the same thing!
    And although i have not yet "pulled the trigger" on a samsung DLP i just got a credit card with the appropriate limit for the purchase (want to save on the sales tax and it is still on its way, the card).
    I asked the same type of question but for some reason there is little to no response.
    I have not heard anything bad about the TV so i'm fairly positive i will get it, but can anyone help us? [​IMG]

7. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit